New to dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what ever you do.. ..don't ever just add alk to your tank to fix an "omg it is so low"! alk problem without testing it twice!

ask me how I know.

I love 2 part but it is POWERFUL stuff.

lol

That applies to many things we test. I've often corrected "issues" without adequately understanding them, only to create a different problem that didn't already exist.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

That applies to many things we test. I've often corrected "issues" without adequately understanding them, only to create a different problem that didn't already exist.
I will file it under new tank excitement.
oh wow..6.6 I will add some straight from the jug. glug glug glug. hmmm, it is 400 gallons, I should add some more... glug. maybe a touch more, wait and then test. glug.

10.4!!! "what have I done!!!" spend the evening adding up the costs of my frags. LOL

sometimes I think laying on nail beds would be a more relaxing hobby.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow..6.6 I will add some straight from the jug. glug glug glug. hmmm, it is 400 gallons, I should add some more... glug. maybe a touch more, wait and then test. glug.

10.4!!! "what have I done!!!" spend the evening adding up the costs of my frags. LOL

O my! This makes me really not want to do it. I have about 1.5k in corals in my tank

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much mil you dosing everyday? Just curious. I just mixed my solution.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the calculator on Bulk Reef Supply's website, it takes the guess work out of it. They even advise the max you want to raise each parameter per day. I'd dose manually until you get both the Calcium and Alkalinity where you want them. Then, can start dosing with your dosers. Once balanced, I've found that I dose the same amount of Alk and Calcium per day. I have a 55 gallon mixed reef with a lot of coral and a 3" Squamosa clam
I dose 88 ml of soda ash solution and 88 ml of calcium solution daily. I spread out the dosing in 10 minute intervals spread out over the 24 hours, and separate the alk dosing and Calcium dosing by an hour.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each tank's needs will be different. Depends on volume and the number, type, and size of your corals. Also, some inverts will need it too. Start slow, and test daily. After a week or two of daily testing and manual dosing, you'll eventually learn what your tank requires. Good luck and have fun. No need to stress [emoji106][emoji16]

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the calculator on Bulk Reef Supply's website, it takes the guess work out of it. They even advise the max you want to raise each parameter per day. I'd dose manually until you get both the Calcium and Alkalinity where you want them. Then, can start dosing with your dosers. Once balanced, I've found that I dose the same amount of Alk and Calcium per day. I have a 55 gallon mixed reef with a lot of coral and a 3" Squamosa clam
I dose 88 ml of soda ash solution and 88 ml of calcium solution daily. I spread out the dosing in 10 minute intervals spread out over the 24 hours, and separate the alk dosing and Calcium dosing by an hour.

That’s a ton of ml! A guy helped me calculate how much ML per day and it was 7 then I was going to work my way up because my goal is not to over due it lol

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a ton of ml! A guy helped me calculate how much ML per day and it was 7 then I was going to work my way up because my goal is not to over due it lol

7 ml is barely more than a good gnat pee [emoji12] Like I said, my tank is fully stocked with LPS, SPS, softies, and a Clam. They are all hungry critters. If you have small frags, then I'm sure your needs would be a lot less. Here's my tank :

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 ml is barely more than a good gnat pee [emoji12] Like I said, my tank is fully stocked with LPS, SPS, softies, and a Clam. They are all hungry critters. If you have small frags, then I'm sure your needs would be a lot less. Here's my tank :

Your tank looks really good! I see why you need more ha!

I wish I could grow my shoorms like yours. Mine all detach or die... it’s not a high flow area

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 180ml goes to feed a 60 gallon frag and a 280 gallon sps tank.

It always fluctuates a bit. Try to think of it like food for corals, clams, coraline. when happy and growing they eat at a certain rate. they grow bigger.. they eat more. you tick them off, they eat less. you move the lights... they eat differently.

like someone above said, just test and don't stress. it is actually great to be in tune with your tank through regular testing. I have an sps tank so alk consumption is kind of my merit badge. if consumption is increasing then things are going well.

cheers

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc is 480 so I turned off dosing and my alk is 8.12 so I kept that going. My mag is 1390 so I’m leaving that alone. I just did a water change today so maybe that’s why the calc is to high . I’ll be checking daily

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice

10-7 Cal 480 Alk 8.12 Mag 1390
10-8 Cal 470 Alk 7.79 Mag 1450

So I stopped dosing my cal for a bit and my alk I’m dosing 8ml per day. 4 at night and 4 in morning. Mag I’m not dosing I might of misread it yesterday.

How much ML should I up my Alk to per day? Also my PH seems to be around 8.2ish. Normally it’s a dark geeen on my test kit at a 8.3 seems a little lighter.

What to do? Thanks

Last edited:

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35130090-1EB7-4FF3-986E-B34A8607599F.jpeg

So my alk is droping even after I moved to 12ml per day. Now my cal is not moving at all.

Why is my cal not moving? And should I keep raising my alk ML per day?

I want to stay around a 9 alk and a 450 cal.

Suggestions?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is 7.6 now. Keeps dropping so I’ll keep raising my ML per day? I’m at 14 what should I go too?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0BC89304-58EA-452B-83A1-2B4F20917888.jpeg

So I have my calc dosing at 0 and everyday I been moving my alk up. Today at 10-17 it was set to 30ml per day. Why is it dropping when I’m still increasing. So today I moved it to 40mil per day.

Is there something wrong? Why is my calk not being used? Any advice would be great.

@Randy Holmes-Farley @Jason mack @Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc will drop at a much slower rate than alk because it is consumed at a much lower rate. Add in some measurement error and accuracy issues from using hobby level test kits and you may not have a problem.
I wouldn't worry about it until you get it down where you want it and then start dosing to maintain. If calc starts climbing when you match alk and calc dosing, then you may have an issue.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc will drop at a much slower rate than alk because it is consumed at a much lower rate. Add in some measurement error and accuracy issues from using hobby level test kits and you may not have a problem.
I wouldn't worry about it until you get it down where you want it and then start dosing to maintain. If calc starts climbing when you match alk and calc dosing, then you may have an issue.

Ok thanks. So I just keep raising my alk until it stabilizes around what I want. That’s a 9. Now calc and alk will be different mils right? What do you mean when you match alk and calc?

Thanks for responding

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back