New to phosphate reactors

AnyNameYouWish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2021
Messages
50
Reaction score
68
Location
pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my first reactor it is an innovative marine minimax midsize to lower my phosphate. I am using Rowaphos and some of the fine rowa escaped the reactor and landed on the bioballs in the bottom of my sump, moving forward I’d say I need filter floss in addition to the filter sponge it came with.

My question is the rowa that’s now in the sump on the bio balls… how big of an issue is that? Do I need to get it out right away, next water change, or will it be fine if it never gets removed?
 
I'd say it'd be alright left at the bottom, I don't think rowaphos leaches once its exhausted so it won't do any harm.
In regards to putting filter floss, personally I wouldn't have said that was the best of ideas. I feel like it'd just get clogged up really quickly and youd end up having to replace it every few days.
If it was me I'd probably just try a larger sized media that isn't so fine.
 
So I got my first reactor it is an innovative marine minimax midsize to lower my phosphate. I am using Rowaphos and some of the fine rowa escaped the reactor and landed on the bioballs in the bottom of my sump, moving forward I’d say I need filter floss in addition to the filter sponge it came with.

My question is the rowa that’s now in the sump on the bio balls… how big of an issue is that? Do I need to get it out right away, next water change, or will it be fine if it never gets removed?
I wouldn’t worry about it to much, as long as its not disturbed I’d say it can wait until next water change. I’d only worry about it if it made its way into the return pump chamber.
 
I'd say it'd be alright left at the bottom, I don't think rowaphos leaches once its exhausted so it won't do any harm.
In regards to putting filter floss, personally I wouldn't have said that was the best of ideas. I feel like it'd just get clogged up really quickly and youd end up having to replace it every few days.
If it was me I'd probably just try a larger sized media that isn't so fine.
I’m not against a larger media next go around but I’ve got 1000g of this to use up before I get some new :confused-face:
 
I’m not against a larger media next go around but I’ve got 1000g of this to use up before I get some new :confused-face:
Did you rinse it (in saltwater) prior to putting it in the reactor?
I do this or run the reactor outside of the tank first to get the "dust" out.
 
I was looking at that reactor and had bad reviews. How you like it? Working for GFO?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new