New to R2R

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am new here, I was referred here by someone on TCMAS.

A little history -

I started with reading lots of reef keeping books 4 years ago

After research I purchased a 125g tank that never got set up and am selling it now

I then got a biocube which crashed after a year from algae, nitrates, ammonia, aptasia, etc., etc.

I went back to reading for about 2 years and learned from every mistake.

Example - Last time I had the tank up I was panicking because of all the brown powdery algae in my new tank, which I could not even name. Now I am going through this stage and know that they are called diatoms and feed on silicates from new rock/sand and will pass with time and a good CUC.

And probably in two years I will look back to now and look at how much I have learned.

Back to the story,

I then set up the biocube again and now have: 2 tank bred occelaris clowns ($15 for two, great deal1smile1), one small zoanthid colony (half green half orangey red), one aussie ultra symphallia wilsoni, and a bunch of snails/ hermits)

The tank is a biocube 29 which has had the vynal sanded of the back, a DIY fuge light, modular hose on the return, karolia nano, the tab removed from compartment #1 to compartment #2, compartment #1 has bottom removed for heater, JBJ digi temp, chaeto in compartment #2, purigen in compartment #1, chemi pure elite in compartment #2, sponge in compartment #3 removed, filter floss in compartment #1....... And to top it all of new fans in the hood with 3 T-5s which I retrofitted inside.

Future plans: add another ballast for sunrise/sunset, get another koralia, anemone proof the karolias with that plastic mesh from craft stores, set up a 58g frag tank, and set up my 57g oceanic illuminata!

Thanks for reading!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see new faces here.

Post some tank shots when you get a chance.

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the diatom bloom lol. these are a couple weeks old I'll get some new pics soon -

010-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Wilsoni (it was new then it is alot bigger now)

011-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Stand set up -

012-1.jpg
[/IMG]

DIY t-5s

009-1.jpg
[/IMG]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back