New to reef keeping and tank setup

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’ve had a 30G planted tank a couple years ago, and now I feel like I’m ready to make the jump to a reef tank. I’ve been planning this for a couple months, and will pull the trigger in a month or 2.
My priorities are :
  • Easy and low maintenance (Less than 1 hour a week)
  • Beautiful, colorful fish
  • Great corals, without going crazy. SPS are not on my radar, at least for now.
Here’s my plan so far. I would appreciate any comment or advices.

Equipment and setup
  • Red Sea Reefer XL 425 (47’’x23’’x22’’, Display tank 88G, 112G with sump)
  • Red Sea DIY net cover
  • Red Sea Reefer 600 skimmer
  • Vectra M2 return pump
  • 4-stages 100 GDP RODI system (not sure which one yet, but they mostly all look the same)
  • 2x BRUTE 44 gallons for RODI and saltwater reservoirs
  • AutoAqua Smart AWC for auto water change and ATO
  • 2x 200W Eheim Jager heaters, with Inkbird controller
  • 2x AI Nero 5 pumps (I find MP40s too big and expensive)
  • 3x Radion XR15 G5 Pro with mounting arms. I prefer a more white looking light, rather than blue.
  • Dry rocks
  • Sand 1mm to 2mm
  • Hanna electronic testers whenever available for most parameters.
I have a room straight below where the tank will be, which will contain the RODI unit and reservoirs. Water pipes and drain are available in the same room, so in theory I should never have to carry water around.

I also plan on setting up a Chaeto refugium in the sump with copepods and other beneficial inverts. I really like the idea of a complete ecosystem that mostly takes care of itself.

I still have my old 30G tank that I can use as a QT tank.

Stock

Fish
I’m a fish guy, and I want lots of awesome fish with great colors and personality.
  • 2x Kaudern’s Cardinalfish
  • 2x Ocelaris clownfish
  • Onespot foxface
  • *Copperband butterfly fish
  • Yellow prawn goby
  • *Bluestreak cleaner wrasse
  • *2x Blue star leopard wrasse (male and female)
  • Purple tang (I know this is borderline with the size of the tank. Kole tang would fit better, but I don’t like them)
  • *Regal angelfish
  • *Green mandarin
*I’ve read about the difficulties with these particular fish, but I feel I’m up for the challenge. From what I’ve gathered, the trick is to get them to eat reliably, which can be hard, but once that’s done I’m in the clear. Is that a good interpretation?

Inverts
  • Tiger snapping shrimp (the goby’s buddy)
  • Skunk Cleaner shrimp (can I have 2? They look great !)
  • Enough hermit crabs
  • Blue tuxedo urchin
  • Trochus snails
  • Nassarius snails
  • Emerald crab
  • Other good cleaning snails?
Corals
I want mostly softies and LPS, and eventually maybe a couple of easy SPS.
  • Xenia
  • Hammers
  • GSP
  • Duncan
  • Elegance
  • Galaxea
  • Torch
  • Frog spawn

Phases
I’m a patient guy, and plan on waiting whatever time is needed between milestones to make sure that I don’t create problems for myself.

Phase 1 (time of purchase)
  • Setup the hardware.
  • Place rocks and sand
  • Cycle the tank
  • Nothing living added to the tank
  • No light
Phase 2 (1 month after initial setup)
  • Add 2 clowns and 2 cardinalfish
  • Add cleanup crew
  • Setup refugium with chaeto and copepods
  • Test frequently to monitor stability
  • No light, except refugium
Phase 3 (5 months after initial setup, or more if tank is still not stable)
  • Start adding more fish, in a logical and sustainable order over the months.
  • Start adding corals
  • Turn on lights
  • Hope for the best.

So here’s what I have so far ! Is that a good start, or I’m just going to kill everything?
I’m waiting for the Tang Police regarding the purple tang

Thanks !

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool! I have a reefer 425. I would opt to get a custom lid like something from Artfully Acrylic or Octoaquatics. They're cleaner and you can get feeding slots.
Good call on the dual Eheim heaters and the three XR15's instead of 2 XR30's. To be honest, if you're not going for SPS, you could probably get away with two XR15's and save some cash.
Depending on how far out you're planning to purchase, I would buy the rock and brute cans now and start cycling the rock in the brute.
Yes you can have two skunk cleaner shrimp and they actually do better in pairs.
The emerald crab may nip at your corals so keep that in mind.
The Purple tang is going to grossly outgrow that tank.. the display is only 88 gallons. Maybe consider a yellow tang? I know you mentioned you don't like Kole tangs but I have one and its my favorite fish fwiw.

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool! I have a reefer 425. I would opt to get a custom lid like something from Artfully Acrylic or Octoaquatics. They're cleaner and you can get feeding slots.
Good call on the dual Eheim heaters and the three XR15's instead of 2 XR30's. To be honest, if you're not going for SPS, you could probably get away with two XR15's and save some cash.
Depending on how far out you're planning to purchase, I would buy the rock and brute cans now and start cycling the rock in the brute.
Yes you can have two skunk cleaner shrimp and they actually do better in pairs.
The emerald crab may nip at your corals so keep that in mind.
The Purple tang is going to grossly outgrow that tank.. the display is only 88 gallons. Maybe consider a yellow tang? I know you mentioned you don't like Kole tangs but I have one and its my favorite fish fwiw.
Wow those lids from Octoaquatics looks awesome !

Hehe i was expecting to get some reaction for the purple tang.
I've been reading about those for a while, and I keep seeing contradictory information. Some people say that you need a 6' tank minimum, others say that they're successfully keeping adults in a 55G.
The "official" information from live aquaria states that the minimum is a 125G, which is 72''x18''x21''.
What does the purple tang needs to thrive exactly? Is it straight water volume, or rather the lenght of the tank?
What will happen with a purple tang in the RSR XL 425?

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, anything I should add to the cleanup crew that I didnt mention?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build list. i was going to buy the Vectra M2 but was concerned with the DC reputation for poor head lift since i was putting the sump one floor down. i may have worried unnecessarily. Good luck and welcome

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi build sounds good and I noticed you are planning a refugium for exporting nutrients ,have you thought about adding an algae turf scrubber for exporting nutrients just an idea you can Diy it or purchase from lfs good luck with your build.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a good plan but I feel like some of the fish are pushing it for your size tank. I do the same so no worries there. I have a similar display size and considered a purple but I know they swim a lot and can be aggressive so instead I'm considering a white tail bristletooth tang. I have a regal angel that I bought as a small baby and he is the king of my tank,. Anything that will go in needs to be peaceful so I don't stress him. I also want a Mandarin but will wait until I see my new rock mature so that I can be sure he will have enough pods to eat.

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey !
Your plan sounds great and it sounds like you have thought things through.

Are you planning on adding an anemone for the clowns or just hoping they will host the hammer ?
I'm so much on the fence regarding anemone !
Bubble tip anemones looks AWESOME and would very much like to have one, but i've read that they can be a real PITA since they keep moving, can get stuck in powerheads and might attack corals.

Is it really this bad?

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build list. i was going to buy the Vectra M2 but was concerned with the DC reputation for poor head lift since i was putting the sump one floor down. i may have worried unnecessarily. Good luck and welcome
Well the M2s have 21.5' of head pressure so they look pretty powerful on paper

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so much on the fence regarding anemone !
Bubble tip anemones looks AWESOME and would very much like to have one, but i've read that they can be a real PITA since they keep moving, can get stuck in powerheads and might attack corals.

Is it really this bad?

I will be honest - I bought 2 BTA , I now have 4 in less than 6 months . There are some amazing BTA colour morphs that I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on and they are easy to get out of the tank (mine have been easy to move)

my clowns hosting the BTA was super cute .
However my clowns hosting my Carpet are amazing.

that being said my tank was chosen for the anemone first and they do wander if unhappy .

maybe the hammers are a better choice just so you don’t have to worry about wandering nems

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi build sounds good and I noticed you are planning a refugium for exporting nutrients ,have you thought about adding an algae turf scrubber for exporting nutrients just an idea you can Diy it or purchase from lfs good luck with your build.
I had not heard about the algae turf scrubber, but this looks interesting !
Should this be used in combination with the chaeto? I'd still need that chaeto ball as a home for the copepods and other critters.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been reading about those for a while, and I keep seeing contradictory information. Some people say that you need a 6' tank minimum, others say that they're successfully keeping adults in a 55G.
The "official" information from live aquaria states that the minimum is a 125G, which is 72''x18''x21''.
What does the purple tang needs to thrive exactly? Is it straight water volume, or rather the lenght of the tank?
People say big tank because tangs in general are VERY active swimmers in the wild. Many feel it’s stressful only having a small box to swim in. However I’ve seen many tangs in smaller tanks just fine. It’s a hobby debate.

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lucas815 cheato can still be used in your refugium to I have a ball of cheato in mine and I think a lot of other R2R members will run boath in there refugium.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive never owned a purple tang but even my Kole tang swims a ton. I feel the tank is on the lower limit for even a Kole tang so a purple tang really would overgrow that tank. Fish health is what I would worry about (definitely quarantine everyone with so many fish in there) and aggression from the purple tang with such a small space. If you're really set, why not go up to at least the reefer 525xl ($500 more) and you could save some money by changing lights (hydras?) or skimmer (reef octopus) if you need to.

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never owned a purple tang but even my Kole tang swims a ton. I feel the tank is on the lower limit for even a Kole tang so a purple tang really would overgrow that tank. Fish health is what I would worry about (definitely quarantine everyone with so many fish in there) and aggression from the purple tang with such a small space. If you're really set, why not go up to at least the reefer 525xl ($500 more) and you could save some money by changing lights (hydras?) or skimmer (reef octopus) if you need to.
Unfortunately, space is the limiting factor rather than money, and I physically cannot go larger than 48".

Anyway, whatever happens, the Tang would be the very last fish added, so I have lots of time to change my mind this one.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list looks great .
a few little minor things that could set your timing off a little ...

5 months seams like a rush to mature any tank to fulfill a mandarins diet or stability to add corals .

take your time and don’t rush .
Once you’re in the hobby , there is no way out .
My as well make the best of it .
take your time and enjoy every day .

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back