New to Reef2Reef

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I live in North Texas and am getting back into saltwater after a long 15 year hiatus. Making plans for a 210 gallon reef with mostly soft but some hard corals. I'd like to automate as much of the tank as possible (I travel often). I was originally going to set up in our living room but have decided to set it up in a 25"x15" climate controlled/plumbed shop (20' from our home) instead. The thoughts of flooding and space concerns in our home out weigh the drawbacks of not having the tank in my home, I think ; ). I anticipate having lots of questions so I decided to break away from my usual silent lurker status and introduce myself.

One consideration, and I've read the many threads on it, is my shop has 3 skylights and an entire wall of south facing windows. I plan on blacking out the backside of the tank and I believe I can block any "direct" sunlight from hitting the tank if needed although indirect light will be plentiful. Hoping to avoid algae problems. Sounds like direct sunlight may be beneficial or harmful based on many factors including who you ask.

The other benefit of having the reef tank in my shop is I can expand with other tanks, set up the AWC and saltwater mixing station easily, I'd like to breed a pair of clownfish and attempt raising the fry (I used to breed/raise seahorses) and possibly build a frag tank utilizing the abundant light through the skylights/windows (or not if the light is more trouble than a benefit)...It gives me opportunity to expand.

Looking for any experienced opinions on:

-Am I making a mistake setting this tank up in a high natural light environment (I should be able to avoid direct light)?
-Genesis AWC and top off system (still trying to understand how the AWC system would work in conjunction with the top off)
-sand no sand (what fish/inverts cant I have if I dont have sand?)
-a complete list of must have equipment (reactors, testing equipment)
-Recommended non fish critters for a reef

Anyways, as I'm sure each of you know, new questions come up every day!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1578281864654.png

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The best way to get input on your questions is to start a new thread for each item in the applicable sub-forum. For example, lighting, inverts, equipment, etc. Reefers who watch those threads will be happy to give you guidance.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I live in North Texas and am getting back into saltwater after a long 15 year hiatus. Making plans for a 210 gallon reef with mostly soft but some hard corals. I'd like to automate as much of the tank as possible (I travel often). I was originally going to set up in our living room but have decided to set it up in a 25"x15" climate controlled/plumbed shop (20' from our home) instead. The thoughts of flooding and space concerns in our home out weigh the drawbacks of not having the tank in my home, I think ; ). I anticipate having lots of questions so I decided to break away from my usual silent lurker status and introduce myself.

One consideration, and I've read the many threads on it, is my shop has 3 skylights and an entire wall of south facing windows. I plan on blacking out the backside of the tank and I believe I can block any "direct" sunlight from hitting the tank if needed although indirect light will be plentiful. Hoping to avoid algae problems. Sounds like direct sunlight may be beneficial or harmful based on many factors including who you ask.

The other benefit of having the reef tank in my shop is I can expand with other tanks, set up the AWC and saltwater mixing station easily, I'd like to breed a pair of clownfish and attempt raising the fry (I used to breed/raise seahorses) and possibly build a frag tank utilizing the abundant light through the skylights/windows (or not if the light is more trouble than a benefit)...It gives me opportunity to expand.

Looking for any experienced opinions on:

-Am I making a mistake setting this tank up in a high natural light environment (I should be able to avoid direct light)?
-Genesis AWC and top off system (still trying to understand how the AWC system would work in conjunction with the top off)
-sand no sand (what fish/inverts cant I have if I dont have sand?)
-a complete list of must have equipment (reactors, testing equipment)
-Recommended non fish critters for a reef

Anyways, as I'm sure each of you know, new questions come up every day!

Thanks in advance for any responses.
I am originally from North Texas....Howdy Partner!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 96 65.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back