New to reefing

Style185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I like all HOB skimmers as well as canisters and marine lab filters call me crazy but ive always has great success with nano tanks running this way! Lotta options but imo water stability is key. HOB are perfect way to take care of excess crud just change your media often :) happy reefing and welcome!

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! It's a good tank to get started with... Definitely get a hang on back skimmer. And canister filters work great with tanks that size; bit of a hassle on maintenance sometimes, but they work great. My advice, as always, and for any tank, is spend as much as you can afford on filtration. I'm a big fan of overkill, as gallon ratings are notoriously unreliable.

For lighting, a single LED unit should suffice. Either a Red Sea ReefLED, Ecotech Radion, a Kessil, or an AI. The first two would be my preference. Along with an MP10 for water circulation, but really any decent powerhead will work.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, Eric!

tenor.gif

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard Eric. We have an awesome community here, with a wealth of knowledge and experience. Just go slow and ask a lot of questions. It'll save you a lot of frustration and money in the long run. By the way, I'm a FW guy too. Do you still keep fresh water tanks?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Water quality and stability are key so the things that are related to that are important such as having a reliable water testing process (salinity, nitrates, and a few other key characteristics), a quality source for saltwater (whether you get it from a LFS or make it yourself), appropriate filtration, and regular water changes. The lighting and aquascaping with depend on what you plan to keep - fish only, corals, what type of corals, etc. I encourage you to read R2R article called The Ultimate Guide to Setting Up a Saltwater Reef Aquarium. We're glad you're here!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R... I'd recommend looking through the build threads for other people with similar sized tanks as yours. You'll get some great ideas in those threads. And, you can always post specific questions in the forums or search the forums for specific questions/topics. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back