New to Reefing!

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am brand new to the salt water hobby. Ive been working over the past few months to build my first salt water tank (ive had freshwater for years) along with about 6 months of research. A little about my system, its a 40b with a 20 long sump. Sicce syncra 2.0 return pump (id like to upgrade to a vectra in the future) which gives me about 9 to 10x turn over. Im using Tropic Maren Pro and starting the system using bio spiral with dry rock and caribsea special grade. Im excited to finally start my cycle this Friday! First fish will be a clown pair in about a month after quarentine. Im doing 3 weeks of cuperamine and 1 week of prazi. I look forward to being on this forum and having access to the plethora of knowledge on here. To start.... How do you get onto the R2R app. Every time I try it says I dont have permission.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Unfortunately the R2R app and Taptalk support have been discontinued. Best way is on your mobile browser. Gives you access touch more features over the app ;)

Wtr2r54.gif

#WelcometoR2R

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thank you for the introduction! We're glad you're here!

Clownfish.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im excited to start! Does anyone have any advise on a 40b system?

That is a great size tank and sump to start with - a lot of flexibility! What specific questions do you have about the system?

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great size tank and sump to start with - a lot of flexibility! What specific questions do you have about the system?
Recently my questions have been about gear and what people find as optimal turn over rates things like that. I understand the uglys will start to happen soon. I need to dabble in water chem a little bit more and learning how to lower nutrients in the system but not all the way to 0 because I'll have corals after about 4 months.

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my questions have been about gear and what people find as optimal turn over rates things like that. I understand the uglys will start to happen soon. I need to dabble in water chem a little bit more and learning how to lower nutrients in the system but not all the way to 0 because I'll have corals after about 4 months.
Good luck on your cycle ! Your tank will definitely go through an ugly phase until your tank stabilizes . It’s all about the water , Do you have a RO unit or access to RO water ? I wouldn’t put a timeline on adding coral and wait till you have a nice stable system and a maintenance routine then put some testers in there .

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on your cycle ! Your tank will definitely go through an ugly phase until your tank stabilizes . It’s all about the water , Do you have a RO unit or access to RO water ? I wouldn’t put a timeline on adding coral and wait till you have a nice stable system and a maintenance routine then put some testers in there .
Brs 5 stage supplied by a well ran through a water softener first. 0TDS in my storage container (brute). Currently mixing my first batch of salt water for the tank! 4 months is the min I will wait before adding corals. I may try a cheap one sooner to just test the waters (dipped and hoepfully pest free). I want to maintain my water parameters well first and learn how to fix swings that may happen. I plan on 10% water changes weekly. Religiously.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! SLOW and steady wins this race every day. Keep us posted and possibly start a build thread in the "Members Tanks" section. PS We all like photos...;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back