New to Reefing!

FitCoral09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You don’t have to put timelines on when to add stuff. Testing will tell you when your tank is ready. I recently started another tank, BioCube 32, and I cycled using a few different nitrifying bacterias (BioSpira, Fritz turbo start, and Stability) and live sand (with dry rock). Tested daily for a few weeks. After I went through the cycle (Ammonia, then Nitrite, then Nitrate) I added two clown fish. Kept testing to see how the tank responded. Everything has been super stable. I do 3-5 gallon water changes weekly (post cycle). I run a refugium in the back, I have a bag of Chemi-Pure Blue in the back, and I have Marine Pure spheres in the back too to give the bacteria more surface area. I have also been dosing Red Sea NO3PO4-X according to the directions/my testing results.

I’m now approximate 3 months from first water in the tank and I have 5 fish, a Fire Shrimp, snails and hermits, a rose bubble anemone, and a tank full of approximately 10-15 corals. (I use the Fritz red box salt so water changes are all the dosing I need for the corals) I say all this to say that testing consistently will tell you when your tank is ready more than a timeline ever can. Test daily during the cycle and after each addition and don’t add too much at one time. Give your tank time to adjust after each addition while your tank is new (under 6 months to a year). Stability is paramount in this hobby. Patience and testing imo. I don’t have problems with fish and coral health cuz I test often and pay attention to my tank inhabitants. Been doing this since 2009 and I’ve learned some hard lessons over the years haha. Timelines are ok, but you could wait a year and if you aren’t doing it right you could have a healthier tank in 2 months than in a year with wild swings in parameters! This hobby is amazing. Lots of smart people on here and the Bulk Reef Supply and Marine Depot teams/videos are AMAZING resources. Have fun!!!!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R

peanuts.jpg

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R family. Have you checked out BRStv? I would recommend watching the 52 weeks of reefing series. They also have videos about just anything you can think of.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R family. Have you checked out BRStv? I would recommend watching the 52 weeks of reefing series. They also have videos about just anything you can think of.

Oh yes. Ive watched almost every video on their channel, I'm a member of #AskBRSTV which has been invaluable to me. They mention R2R a lot and ive checked it out a few times but never registered. I havent even started the tank and love the hobby already.

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! SLOW and steady wins this race every day. Keep us posted and possibly start a build thread in the "Members Tanks" section. PS We all like photos...;)
Where do I go to get to members tanks sections? Is it a forum to search or is there a specific location for that type of topic?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the Member's Aquarium Discussion section you can select between Member's Tanks, Large Aquariums, Nano, AIO, Cube Tanks, etc. I look forward to seeing your building thread pop up soon!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back