New to Saltwate Aquarium in cycle for 1 week

BigBundee69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id agree with livinlifeBKK, 99% chance that you dont but it is possible i guess. If you got all your rock from your LFS it is possible some coraline got on it and is ok in your tank right now but because your tank is so new and unable to fully process the ammonia your dosing id be skeptical that it would be coraline but there is a chance :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rule of benthic visual verification in updated cycling science: cycling bac you can't see came long before new matted growths you can see, in any new cycling reef tank.

old cycling science cannot allow for any progress until a non digital test kit says zero, down from a huge initial test load. that's literally the only mechanism that exists for adherents of old cycling science to know when a tank is ready

things progress in reefing, dont take this next part as heretical

if things didn't progress, we would not have small nano reefs, the min size rule in 1997 was 15 gallons because thats the lowest gallonage Julian Sprung had kept.

we now have 3 gallon reefs carrying five grand in sps

things progress after 20 years, and so has cycling

per the rule of visual benthic ID/ we can see growth mats that werent there at the start, your diatoms and potential coralline, you are cycled and your tank can control an entire fish load of ammonia, right now. you imported bacteria plainly, threads already exist showing same-day bioload carry for common bottle bac cycles. it does not take a month, it takes one pour-in from the bottle to the tank or the import of live rock that was wet before you added it to the tank.

also part of updated cycling science: ammonia isn't zero in reef tanks, that's why most api threads state .25 and they're still cycled.

this tank is cycled. if you add fish without disease preps, in a white rock system, they die in eight months you can clearly see with any time spent in the disease forum. this isn't a cycling issue, its soon to be a fish disease issue.

your tank has as much filtration bacteria now as it can carry until you add more surface area, which isn't needed. that's plenty. its hard to grasp you're done, but you bought 1 day bottle bac/not surprised.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at no time will any reef tank showing this degree of surface area blanketed in growths of ANY new kind fail to control ammonia on a seneye just like any other running reef tank. doubt it as much as we like, but allow for progression in cycling over 20 years, what form would that evolution take were it happening? (we'd be able to diagnose some cycles off tank pics alone, NO testing needed, is what it would look like)

I hope this little cycling tuneup aiming you into the disease forum for all future readings makes sense, it's where you're at in the game. no further testing for ammonia and nitrite is needed for the life of this reef tank, not any more at all.

any nitrate testing you do needs to be after day sixty and with a digital meter from hanna, not any other non digital types.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of the rock you added was wet, correct? it was not 100% dry rock at the start, is that correct?

or have you added snails/any wet hardscapes at all that came from a pet shop?

if you got that much diatoms +algae complexed off a totally dry start with bottle bac, no import of wet materials whatsoever, that's first Ive seen. three month tanks look like that

one week tanks + bright lights can look like that if something, anything wet from a pet store was transferred in.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Oh, that's a surprise because I definitely bought live rock-

further proof this cycle is done.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do not buy any bottle bac, this cycle was ready on day one. its how you got full benthic coverage in a week.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy fish from places that hold them in low salinity, buy reef held fish

Acclimation can kill, but not cycling issues here

Buying in low salinity then trying to acclimate to reef salinity kills

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopping unnecessary bottle bac purchases is what i live for :)
I’ll give you a bit of ammo. I had a chunk of live rock sat in my garage for 6 months drying out. I decided I’d turn it into a frag rack of sorts. When I drilled it, it was sopping wet inside. I seriously doubt it was sterile.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give you a bit of ammo. I had a chunk of live rock sat in my garage for 6 months drying out. I decided I’d turn it into a frag rack of sorts. When I drilled it, it was sopping wet inside. I seriously doubt it was sterile.
Perhaps still live ?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly didn’t react like dead dry rock when I put it in the tank. Then again, neither did the rock that my wife boiled, lol
Boiled rocks ?
Sounds like a disaster …

I would imagine seeing there is still moisture there could possibly be bacteria but . There would be more dead and decomposing matter
No matter what I would rinse them and expect to see high ammonia shortly after adding .

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiled rocks ?
Sounds like a disaster …

I would imagine seeing there is still moisture there could possibly be bacteria but . There would be more dead and decomposing matter
No matter what I would rinse them and expect to see high ammonia shortly after adding .
LOL, “What’s a matter with you” she said “I’ve got the window open” she added. :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would walk in and see it .
snd I would walk back out .
Bye … see ya tomorrow . ( maybe )
I’m now considering the possibility that the cool (ish) wet interior of the porous rock can sustain bacteria in a 20 minute boil, all thanks to my wife :) Absolutely no evidence of that though, just an observation, just like a lot of things.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back