New to Saltwater

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

As you can guess I’m new to the forum and new to saltwater in general. I’ve had freshwater tanks for going on probably close to fifteen years. I’ve been slowing leaning more and more toward salt the past few years and I’m happy to say I’m ready to take the plunge.

I found a fantastic deal online for a used JBJ 45 gallon tank, still up and running and complete with Red Devil protein skimmers, light, ATO, dosing pumps and containers, RO/DI system, refractometer, Jebao powerhead, reef keeper controller, 50 lbs of dry rock, phosphate reactor, Red Sea rest kits, plus much more in extras.

Going to be bringing it all home this weekend and looking forward to setting it up. I’ve been trying to research and read as much as I can about SW tanks and reefs; my ultimate goal is a reef tank. Joining this forum to learn more about proper husbandry and hopefully connect with fellow enthusiasts!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Be sure to start a build thread and share your tank with the community.

09BFC089-6897-496C-BA7F-D3F64B32E664.gif

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not positive of any changes I want to make yet, but I'm considering swapping the substrate. Currently the tank has black sub, looks pretty coarse and might be a gravel type mixture. I've read good reviews of CarabSea Arag Alive Fiji Pink- any thoughts on this sand for a future reef tank? And should I be looking at around 40 lbs?

**Also, I can start a new thread for any questions if more appropriate!

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not positive of any changes I want to make yet, but I'm considering swapping the substrate. Currently the tank has black sub, looks pretty coarse and might be a gravel type mixture. I've read good reviews of CarabSea Arag Alive Fiji Pink- any thoughts on this sand for a future reef tank? And should I be looking at around 40 lbs?

**Also, I can start a new thread for any questions if more appropriate!

Start a build thread in the members tank forum. See above signature for link :)

40lbs should be adequate. Depends on how deep you want it to be.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back