New to sumps... I think this is a problem...

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my new (used) 180 came with a sump. I filled it up this morning for a leak test and fired up the return pumps to check everything out. Good news is, nothing is leaking!!! My concern is that the drain from one side seems to be pulling in a LOT of air. It "Gluggs" every 20 seconds or so? I can see air in the return hose from the pump on that side (there are dual overflows and returns on this tank) Beyond the noise, I am concerned that this excessive air will be an avenue for water loss (I can see that the violent bubbling is already pushing water out of the top if the intake chamber). Add in salt creep and this compounds the problem.

How do I purge the air from the system?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Espino963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close your valve completely and let the return fill. Open it slowly and adjust it to your liking.
Done

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Either replumb it or allow it to fill then restore power to the pump and see if it went away

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you can post a video, that would help a lot

I haven't been able to get a video small enough to post here. I don't have a hosting site to hyperlink to :-(
Either replumb it or allow it to fill then restore power to the pump and see if it went away

Shut the power off this morning and allowed everything to balance, just fired in back up and same problem?

Close your valve completely and let the return fill. Open it slowly and adjust it to your liking.
Done

The return pumps do not have an adjustment dial.. grrrr.. Not an issue to buy new ones, but the previuos owner didn't have this issue...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I haven't been able to get a video small enough to post here. I don't have a hosting site to hyperlink to :-(

Shut the power off this morning and allowed everything to balance, just fired in back up and same problem?

The return pumps do not have an adjustment dial.. grrrr.. Not an issue to buy new ones, but the previuos owner didn't have this issue...
I wonder if a small or other object got into the line

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if a small or other object got into the line

It's a brand new setup bro.. There is nothing in there to get into anything...

Should the drain tubes stick out of the water?

edit: I mean, the top of the drain tube has an air inlet. That part sticks up about 1/2 inch above the water line. I have adjustability to push the drain tube completely below the water line.. is that an option?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's a brand new setup bro.. There is nothing in there to get into anything...

Should the drain tubes stick out of the water?

edit: I mean, the top of the drain tube has an air inlet. That part sticks up about 1/2 inch above the water line. I have adjustability to push the drain tube completely below the water line.. is that an option?
No- they should be submersed

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on ...... from your initial description it sounds like your tank is a standard dual overflow mass market model (aqueon, ML .... something like that)? If so, assume you are using a durso and a return in each corner. If you can confirm this, show pictures or offer a more complete description it will allow folks to offer more useful advice.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on ...... from your initial description it sounds like your tank is a standard dual overflow mass market model (aqueon, ML .... something like that)? If so, assume you are using a durso and a return in each corner. If you can confirm this, show pictures or offer a more complete description it will allow folks to offer more useful advice.

Wow I didn't even know this reply was here till just now.. Of course I can add more pics if that helps.. Here ya go!!

Full tank shot (Sorry about the glare) You can see the dual overflows...
IMG_0459.JPG

Left side...
IMG_0460.JPG

Right side
IMG_0461.JPG

Top views of overflow...

IMG_0458.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG

This last shot shows where I repositioned the drain tube to below the water line completely.
IMG_0456.JPG

Hope this helps... Let me know if any other angles will help. Do you need a few shots of the sump, plumbing, ect?

Thanks,
Steve

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I STILL haven't solved the gurgle issue. Refilled the tank last night and same problem. I ordered 2 new return pumps of MUCH higher volume. In the morning, I am going to go get all new drain and return hoses.

I tried to submerge the drain pipes below the water line and all that did was lower the water level in the overflows. What am I doing wrong?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back