New to SW Live rocks vs Dead Rock Help

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 clay4au...I agree that getting live sand and LR from different locations will provide you with a larger variety of organisms within.

In defense against some of the other commenters...I purchased my LR from a guy on craigs list and 3 different LFS. Only one of those stores gave me a pest...aptasia, and the only reason I know that is because I was aptasia-less for about 2 months and I knew I was introducing aptasia into my tank with the purchase of a rock that I HAD TO HAVE(it had a BLACK feather duster worm on it and I had never seen that before). On the other hand, I have purchased LR had has had so many good hitch hikers it isn't funny. I expect some of you have read this list and are tired of reading it but, I have gotten: black, red and white feather dusters, pods, brittle stars, tiny star fish, mini carpet nems...could be maxi but I am not sure, nassarius snail, sea squirts, encrusting sponge, and 3 different types of mushrooms. I find one of the most fun parts about buying stuff for my tank is finding new hitch hikers.

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

fyrfytr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clay
I hadn't thought of getting sand and rock from multiple locations. Guess I was thinking first marine tank, keep it simple

bilbo4fun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know and trust your sources is right on. Went thru 200 gallons of water in a 55 to find out fish store was selling bad water. Same fish store I bought 40# of base rock. according to 2 other fish stores and columia zoo 14 year zoologist it had have seen saltwater and was leaching bad stuff in my tank. Not porus so taking up space.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back