New to the aquarium hobby. Give me any and all advice for my first tank!

IlLupoDelMare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! I just started my brand new reef tank and I’m looking for whatever advice you can offer! I’ve built this mostly on a budget and the biggest help has been my father who has been in the hobby for many years. This is my first solo aquascape and I’m excited to see it run. I just put this 46 gallon bow front tank together today and I’m gonna run it for a few days before introducing 2 new clownfish (unless someone tells me something better to do or otherwise). I just bought a new filter (Seachem Tidal 55) that I’ll install that will be my main filter. The protein skimmer is an e shopps filter that I got from a friend for cheap and I’ll probably set it up tomorrow (unless someone tells me a reason not to). The rocks and dead coral come from my dad’s 220 gallon tank that he is remodeling since hurricane sandy killed most of the tank many years ago. Please give me any tips and tricks you have to help me get this thing started successfully as a tank for years to come!

74A24CA2-D32B-41B6-8104-77B711BE0BC8.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0135.MOV
    33.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add liquid bacteria such as bacter 7 or Dr tims;
Purchase quality test kits- Not API

OP
OP
IlLupoDelMare

IlLupoDelMare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add liquid bacteria such as bacter 7 or Dr tims;
Purchase quality test kits- Not API
Does having rock and sand from a 20 year old established tank change the cycling time? I will be doing tests every so often. I'm looking for a good nitrite and ammonia test, any recommendations?

OP
OP
IlLupoDelMare

IlLupoDelMare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like vetteguy just mentioned, were here for whatever you need. So many great people on here with great advice-can't go wrong. And welcome!
Thanks! I'm excited to get into the hobby! What do you think of the aquascape? Is it too low or is the open water at the top good for some fish?

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and also have a Seachem Tidal 55 filter.
+1 on what vetteguy53081 said.
If you can afford it, I would also look into a HOB ATO. You probably have the same size stand aswell that is too small for a sump. You can use an HOB ATO with a Container that will fit and make your life a lot easier in the long run
Good Luck!!!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some great threads regarding cycling a tank. The old rocks could leach phosphate or nitrates or ammonia or whatever is locked up in the rock.

personally I would wait to add any fish. You will want to test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You should see ammonia spike, then nitrite. Once they both show zero and are converted to nitrate you should be cycled and ready for fish.

but testing is key to know of your ready.
Good luck and happy reefing!

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There is a lot of information (a lot of conflicting opinions as well) here which is very hard for a newbie like me and you to go through and make sense of. The best thing to do is to start listening to just one experienced reefer, in this case I think it would be your dad. At least run by him all advice you get here.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does having rock and sand from a 20 year old established tank change the cycling time? I will be doing tests every so often. I'm looking for a good nitrite and ammonia test, any recommendations?
I like Salifert. They have been reliable for me.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 2021 ..
there are many other ways to cycle a tank without the sacrifice of exposing fish to ammonia .
I’d personally wait on the addition of any livestock .

reefing is about taking your time .
research everything and ask any question you have .
we were all new once upon a time

welcome to a amazing and rewarding hobby .

OP
OP
IlLupoDelMare

IlLupoDelMare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and also have a Seachem Tidal 55 filter.
+1 on what vetteguy53081 said.
If you can afford it, I would also look into a HOB ATO. You probably have the same size stand aswell that is too small for a sump. You can use an HOB ATO with a Container that will fit and make your life a lot easier in the long run
Good Luck!!!
My dad actually might have an old auto top off system that I will probably use soon if we can find it. For now I have a milk jug under the tank full of RO/DI water that I will use every day to keep it topped off. If I cant find it any recommendations for a new one is greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
IlLupoDelMare

IlLupoDelMare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 2021 ..
there are many other ways to cycle a tank without the sacrifice of exposing fish to ammonia .
I’d personally wait on the addition of any livestock .

reefing is about taking your time .
research everything and ask any question you have .
we were all new once upon a time

welcome to a amazing and rewarding hobby .
Thanks for this! My dad hasn't cycled a tank in over 15 years so I now know to wait a bit more and keep testing my water for the nitrogen cycle. I have been doing a lot of research but unfortunately it yields lots of conflicting results so direct help from experienced reefers is perfect for me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Only if its' live

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back