new to the group

mdg7000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the group and pretty new to owning a "real" fish tank. I have a fresh water 37 gallon tank. I just started setting the tank up. I added water, gravel plants and conditioner. I'm seeing different answers to if I can add my fish (1) to the tank after 24 hours. It's a gold fish about 5.5 inches long. Eventually I want to aded some other compatible tank mates.

Any advice as to how long I should wait to add my firs fish and more later on?

Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

PlagueBorne85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the group and pretty new to owning a "real" fish tank. I have a fresh water 37 gallon tank. I just started setting the tank up. I added water, gravel plants and conditioner. I'm seeing different answers to if I can add my fish (1) to the tank after 24 hours. It's a gold fish about 5.5 inches long. Eventually I want to aded some other compatible tank mates.

Any advice as to how long I should wait to add my firs fish and more later on?

Thanks!
Hello and welcome

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I don’t have first hand experience with freshwater. I think the most logical thing to do is ensure it is properly cycled (no ammonia no nitrites) before adding your fish. There are test kits for these.

Welcome again!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you have some starter bacteria in the tank and can commit to testing daily for a the first week and can do water changes if the ammonia gets high, you can probably add your goldfish immediately. Goldfish are very hardy and seem less affected by higher ammonia levels then other fish.
And welcome!
welcome2.gif

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. A long time since I kept a goldfish. If I remember right temperature is not so critical as for tropical fish. In the uk we would make sure we removed the chlorine from the tap water. There may be people who currently keep goldfish who could give you specific up to date advice.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back