New to the Hobby! NEED HELP

kensterp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers! So I’m brand spanking new to this hobby. I’m planning on getting my 16gallon Biocube wet for the first time in the next couple weeks! Was curious about a couple things, one being how soon I’ll be able to introduce corals or fish to the tank, and if it’s advised to do corals first or fish first. Also for some reason I’m just so nervous about water parameters. Also curious what I need to use for my biological filters. I’m the kind of person who is a perfectionist and I want my tank to look like the best nano tanks around. And I’m not too shy of hard work. Lol. If someone has any tips or stocking ideas or maybe just comments or concerns I am more than open to the criticism if it means having a gorgeous reef in my home. All I know that I need for certain at this time is water, live rock, and filter media. But still would love some pointers!!
Everything I have for my tank:

16 gallon biocube
Coralife biocube protein skimmer v2
Cobalt 75watt heater
15lb caribsea live sand
Dr tims one and only
Dr tims ammonium chloride
Refractometer
Hydrometer
REEF MASTER test kit
Thermometer

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef.

First, Don't rush it! this is a hobby of patience. Your cycle can take up to 6 months depending on how you do it.

Second, what kind of lights do you have?

There are ALOT of vids online that will help with getting your tank started. look up BRSTV on YT.
the cycle is the most important part. During the cycle, you will need to test for:
ammonia
Nitrite
Salinity
pH

instead of the Dr. tims one and only, I will suggest both Brightwell Microbactor 7 & microb-lift Niteout
make sure you have some bio-media and for sure some live rock to put into your tank. your corals will need someplace to live on later. You can use the Dr tims ammonium chloride to get things started as a fishless cycle but, make sure you follow the instructions exactly.

Don't worry about the skimmer, you will not need it during the cycle.
Just keep a eye on your cycle, once your ammonia and nitrites are "0", you should start to see Nitrate and phosphate in measurable levels. that should mean your cycle is done and you are ready for fish.
Start out small with the fish, 2-3 at the most and small fish like clowns and wrass. definatly get cleam up crew like snails and blueleg crabs.

Continue to test, once you have stable parameters all around, you will then be ready for corals. I suggest starting with Softie corals like zoanthids, kenya trees and mushroom's, easy stuff.
As you learn more, you will be able to get more advanced corals like hammers, and maybe even SPS if you have the right lighting.

Look up those videos online thou. they will be more comprehensive then what I put here. Also, we are all here to help you with your questions and will guide you when you need it.

Good luck and congrats on your new journey!

Welcome!!!

f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice, based on my own learning process, would be to relax on the parameters of a new tank. They will fluctuate because it's a new tank and also because of your own learning curve. Don't rush to fix the swings just to meet a specific number. Aim for reasonable ranges instead of spot numbers and as long as tou are in those ranges don't do anything, tank will be fine. Water changes will fix any problems as you start.

Welcome to hobby and good luck!

And more importantly. We all want to see update pictures when you start!

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you will have any aggressive or semi-aggressive fish in the tank, add them last. This should help to reduce aggression.

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding when you can add fish, I'd take a look at this thread about cycling a tank. If done right, you should be able to add your first fish 14 days after setting up the tank and dosing with Dr. Tims.

OP
OP
kensterp

kensterp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First, Don't rush it! this is a hobby of patience. Your cycle can take up to 6 months depending on how you do it.

There are ALOT of vids online that will help with getting your tank started. look up BRSTV on YT.
the cycle is the most important part. During the cycle, you will need to test for:
ammonia
Nitrite
Salinity
pH

instead of the Dr. tims one and only, I will suggest both Brightwell Microbactor 7 & microb-lift Niteout
make sure you have some bio-media and for sure some live rock to put into your tank. your corals will need someplace to live on later. You can use the Dr tims ammonium chloride to get things started as a fishless cycle but, make sure you follow the instructions exactly.

Just keep a eye on your cycle, once your ammonia and nitrites are "0", you should start to see Nitrate and phosphate in measurable levels. that should mean your cycle is done and you are ready for fish.
Start out small with the fish, 2-3 at the most and small fish like clowns and wrass. definatly get cleam up crew like snails and blueleg crabs.

Continue to test, once you have stable parameters all around, you will then be ready for corals. I suggest starting with Softie corals like zoanthids, kenya trees and mushroom's, easy stuff.
As you learn more, you will be able to get more advanced corals like hammers, and maybe even SPS if you have the right lighting.

Look up those videos online thou. they will be more comprehensive then what I put here. Also, we are all here to help you with your questions and will guide you when you need it.

Welcome!!!

ammonia
Nitrite
Salinity
pH

Welcome!!!

Thank you so much! I have just the stock coralife biocube 16 LED lights. Which I’ve heard I’m able to grow a lot of corals under eventually. And I’m excited for the journey!!! I’m going to be looking back to this thread often to re read a lot of that and I’ll check out the other thing instead of Doctor Tim’s one and only before getting started . I am overwhelmed with how helpful everyone is on reef2reef and I will be posting updates as soon as I get the tank wet!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you will get the refractometer, I wouldn't get the hydrometer, no real need.

I would also not get the REEF MASTER test kit from API, its not very good, get the good brands.

I would suggest to add an inkbird to control your heater, they are cheap and worth it.

On a salt tank, the rocks and flow are the biofilter. google "the berlin method" for more info, all the nitrifying bacteria lives on the rocks. Only need to consider mechanical and chemical filtration.

I don't see any powerheads on your list, I would suggest to get at least one. Flow is very important in a salt tank, its also very important to have flow and agitation on the water surface to help with gas exchange.

Personally for that size tank, I would get a pair of clowns and a shrimp/goby pair and call it a full tank.

Good luck.

OP
OP
kensterp

kensterp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you will get the refractometer, I wouldn't get the hydrometer, no real need.

I would also not get the REEF MASTER test kit from API, its not very good, get the good brands.

I would suggest to add an inkbird to control your heater, they are cheap and worth it.

On a salt tank, the rocks and flow are the biofilter. google "the berlin method" for more info, all the nitrifying bacteria lives on the rocks. Only need to consider mechanical and chemical filtration.

I don't see any powerheads on your list, I would suggest to get at least one. Flow is very important in a salt tank, its also very important to have flow and agitation on the water surface to help with gas exchange.

Personally for that size tank, I would get a pair of clowns and a shrimp/goby pair and call it a full tank.

Good luck.
Thank you! I have a hygger 12V power head I plan on putting in there also! Forgot to include that in what I had!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Biocube 32g here. You’ll be able to grow a lot with those lights. You can click on my tank thread badge and go to the last page to get an idea. Best of luck, we are all here for questions anytime.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

read that thread. most reefers don't follow it, that's why their fish are dying left and right after about half a year from skipping preps. reefs + nano reefs like yours don't need filters, so don't contemplate what's inside them, that's for freshwater.

whatever you put in them, or not put in them, doesn't matter because live rocks do all the work. disease planning is what you stress over, not freshwater stuff.

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

read that thread. most reefers don't follow it, that's why their fish are dying left and right after about half a year from skipping preps. reefs + nano reefs like yours don't need filters, so don't contemplate what's inside them, that's for freshwater.

whatever you put in them, or not put in them, doesn't matter because live rocks do all the work. disease planning is what you stress over, not freshwater stuff.

I don't think it's fair to take such a dogmatic approach to stocking order. You can definitely stock fish before corals and other inverts provided you properly QT your corals and inverts. Coral and Invert QT is super easy, too.

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank has completely cycled you can add fish. Add them one at a time over a period of weeks or months as 3-4 small fish is max for your tank.

Cleanup crew first, then fish first (plan for smaller species) and finally corals.
Totally agreed, and don't be nervous, we all have to start somewhere

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DirectC

How many times in your experience do you see new keepers running dual tank setups to pull that off

I've been online 22 years, it's rare. If it was popular the disease forum would be slow, not the busiest on the site

To stop killing fish by the bucket load we need real change

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DirectC

How many times in your experience do you see new keepers running dual tank setups to pull that off

I've been online 22 years, it's rare. If it was popular the disease forum would be slow, not the busiest on the site

To stop killing fish by the bucket load we need real change

New reefers also rarely let their tank sit fishless after setting it up and will continue to buy new corals and replenish CUC even after fish were added. Coral and CUC QT help reduce the risks.

Whether or not they choose to follow the advice, I prefer to explain the options that exist (and are equally effective) and let each individual choose which path they want to take. I'm not here to make their decisions for them. There is not one "right" way to reef.

That said, I don't want to hijack this thread.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back