New to the hobby

Ben D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all! I'm a newbie with a 90 gal tank... I bought my tank already set up with fish, live rock, and some corals like mushrooms and leather heads. The previous owner quit caring for it so I'd like to say I'm trying to "bring it back". I bought a refractometer and tested my water earlier today and the salinity is pretty high at 1.028 and my PH is crazy at like 9.2 I know a move can be extremely difficult on a tank and from what I have read it basically has to establish itself again. It also appears some of my corals got extremely stressed during the move and have died causing the Cobb web looking stuff. Any suggestions to get my numbers down? I'm guessing possibly a good water change? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! A couple suggestions. That ph reading is not likely correct, and I would not worry about it if you are not using any additives-did it happen to be done with a API test kit?
Second, hippo tangs don't do well in a 90, I would trade him in at a lfs and get something more appropriate for the tank.

OP
OP
Ben D

Ben D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! A couple suggestions. That ph reading is not likely correct, and I would not worry about it if you are not using any additives-did it happen to be done with a API test kit?
Second, hippo tangs don't do well in a 90, I would trade him in at a lfs and get something more appropriate for the tank.
It's funny you posted that.. I was going off of my DA controller. I used my API test kit most likely as you were typing your reply and it came back as 7.8.. I have the ph test fluid for my probe and it appears I probably need to use it. And I had no idea about the hippo tangs! Thanks for the pointer, he came with the tank!

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you posted that.. I was going off of my DA controller. I used my API test kit most likely as you were typing your reply and it came back as 7.8.. I have the ph test fluid for my probe and it appears I probably need to use it. And I had no idea about the hippo tangs! Thanks for the pointer, he came with the tank!
API is often low (sometimes just way off though), so likely you are somewhere in between. My first tank was a 90, it came with a hippo, and I still have her. So if you really like the fish and you are planning on upgrading it might be ok. But it is mean to the fish to keep it there long term

OP
OP
Ben D

Ben D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is often low (sometimes just way off though), so likely you are somewhere in between. My first tank was a 90, it came with a hippo, and I still have her. So if you really like the fish and you are planning on upgrading it might be ok. But it is mean to the fish to keep it there long term
Thanks for the help, I have a buddy that has a 180 she would look good in there.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all! I'm a newbie with a 90 gal tank... I bought my tank already set up with fish, live rock, and some corals like mushrooms and leather heads. The previous owner quit caring for it so I'd like to say I'm trying to "bring it back". I bought a refractometer and tested my water earlier today and the salinity is pretty high at 1.028 and my PH is crazy at like 9.2 I know a move can be extremely difficult on a tank and from what I have read it basically has to establish itself again. It also appears some of my corals got extremely stressed during the move and have died causing the Cobb web looking stuff. Any suggestions to get my numbers down? I'm guessing possibly a good water change? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum:)
Good start!
I like yellow-purple fish...What is it? looks very pretty;)

Zhenya

Back