New to the Salt World

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! If your tank is not experiencing any issues, and you don't have any particularly sensitive tank inhabitants, I'd lean towards possibly switching them out as you use the old test kits up. If you are battling an issue, or have sensitive tank inhabitants, it might be cheaper to upgrade to Hanna (or similar) now vice trying to treat a problem based on skewed numbers. My personal tank doesn't have anything super sensitive, so as long as there is no apparent issue, I look for consistency from test to test vice trying to get my tank numbers to exactly match accepted preferred parameters.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
goofy movie hello GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!
I am going on three years of running my saltwater tank. I had been so use to fresh water tanks I wasn’t sure I could handle this, but after a couple years, a new tank, a sump set up and tons and tons of reading on Reef2Reef forums I think I’m getting the hang of it.
I need some advice, I have been using the API drops testing kit for monitoring the levels of my tank but I am feeling like it isn’t very accurate especially when it comes to the PH and Nitrate levels. I saw there is a fantastic Hannah brand giveaway going on... if I don’t win it, (I never win anything) would you all say it’s worth investing the money and buying?
Welcome!

I use some of the Hanna checkers, but not those particular ones so I'll defer to others.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I agree with what has already been said. I used to use Salifert and got cons reading which matched LG’s readings. I now use Hannah for alk and low range phos. I now use Red Sea Pro for calcium and magnesium as I like the titration. I also use their nitrate test.
Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hanna checker very simple to use

welcome58.jpg

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I would like to win the Hanna test kit too, like you I don't win anything. I use salifert and am happy with the results. From what I heard on R2R stay away from API.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back