New to using a dosing pump and don't know where to begin

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is a 125g mixed SPS dominant...it's been running 3+ years and have had great growth and coloration, my sticks are thriving.....and I don't use a dosing pump....I use a kalk stirrer and manually check levels and add as needed. My issue is not with this tank, I am getting an IM 25g Nuvo Fusion Lagoon tank and want to use a dosing pump. I plan on adding zoas, lps and maybe a monti and a stick or 2. I'm trying to figure out how I can implement the dosing pump, I know I should be doing for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium but there is so much confusing info out there on what to use and how to use it. Any help, tips, info on products I should be using (assuming I'm right on dosing for these 3, if not, please provide your expert advice).....thank you!!!!

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the Jebao DP-4
little more input has to be done than something like the Bubble Magus pumps, but for 65$ i couldn't pass it up.
took about 20 minutes to calibrate and set up

Dosing alk and cal only for now. (using B-ionic 2part)

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow Randys guide for making my own 2 part solutions. I make Alk, Ca and MG and have been doing so for years without any issues. It is beyond easy to do and saves you lots of money. For instance the Alk component is 297 grams of Baking Soda into a gallon of RO water, that's it. I use an Apex to control my cheap Jebao dosing pumps but there are lots of dosing options for you out there.

OP
OP
blue.flyzz

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the Jebao DP-4
little more input has to be done than something like the Bubble Magus pumps, but for 65$ i couldn't pass it up.
took about 20 minutes to calibrate and set up

Dosing alk and cal only for now. (using B-ionic 2part)
Thanks for the advice!!!

OP
OP
blue.flyzz

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow Randys guide for making my own 2 part solutions. I make Alk, Ca and MG and have been doing so for years without any issues. It is beyond easy to do and saves you lots of money. For instance the Alk component is 297 grams of Baking Soda into a gallon of RO water, that's it. I use an Apex to control my cheap Jebao dosing pumps but there are lots of dosing options for you out there.
Thanks for the details, I'll read through it!!!

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the advice I'll give from my experience with 2 part dosing.
Start slow and take your time finding the consumption rate, on a smaller tank something like 5mls per day might be a good start. Since I have no idea the SPS load it's hard to guess this, however it is far better to start low than high.;)
Don't be afraid to shoot low with the doser, and hand dose a small amount to get to your level. If you attempt to use doser adjustments to get the right number you will chase your tail forever.
Be patient and avoid changing the doser until you see that you're consistently short and adding by hand consistently, and then make only small changes, like 1 ml at a time.
I know this sounds like a really slow way of doing this but, it is my experience that 2 part dosing is very easy to reach a tipping point and over dose the tank, especially when testing every day and changing dosing amounts too often. The tank's consumption will change daily and trick you into making bad decisions.
Don't attempt to have the doser raise your levels - if you do it will run away from you and spike your levels. Let the doser provide a stable level, and hand dose to raise levels. (This in my opinion is the key to dosing). When you're sure you can raise the automated dose - do so - but not too soon, and not too fast.

Over the course of several weeks you will figure out what your tank wants, and you'll be a pro in no time.

This is my approach - and my opinion. Others may vary.

OP
OP
blue.flyzz

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the advice I'll give from my experience with 2 part dosing.
Start slow and take your time finding the consumption rate, on a smaller tank something like 5mls per day might be a good start. Since I have no idea the SPS load it's hard to guess this, however it is far better to start low than high.;)
Don't be afraid to shoot low with the doser, and hand dose a small amount to get to your level. If you attempt to use doser adjustments to get the right number you will chase your tail forever.
Be patient and avoid changing the doser until you see that you're consistently short and adding by hand consistently, and then make only small changes, like 1 ml at a time.
I know this sounds like a really slow way of doing this but, it is my experience that 2 part dosing is very easy to reach a tipping point and over dose the tank, especially when testing every day and changing dosing amounts too often. The tank's consumption will change daily and trick you into making bad decisions.
Don't attempt to have the doser raise your levels - if you do it will run away from you and spike your levels. Let the doser provide a stable level, and hand dose to raise levels. (This in my opinion is the key to dosing). When you're sure you can raise the automated dose - do so - but not too soon, and not too fast.

Over the course of several weeks you will figure out what your tank wants, and you'll be a pro in no time.

This is my approach - and my opinion. Others may vary.

Thanks TMB, sound advice

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you need to figure out how much ca and alk the tank is using; dosing mg manually should be no problem, you'll likely only need to dose once or twice a month. You need to dose ca and alk at least 1/2 hour apart, I do 1 hour apart to prevent precipitation. I spread my dose throughout the day to keep it more stable, rather than one larger dose.

Choosing your product to figure out how much to dose to get the proper amount of ca and alk. I use b-ionic, each product will tell you how many ml to use to get ppm or dkh increase. You'll have to figure out the real total water volume of your tank taking in consideration displacement for rock and such.

As an example my 90g reef with I guess-timated about 70g of water. I use .4 dkh alk a day and 5ppm of ca. Using b-ionic I need to dose 20ml of each a day to maintain my level. I spread the 20ml over 8 time points throughout the day, alk on even hours and ca on odd hours. I generally need to dose mg every few weeks.

In the beginning you may only need to test weekly or bi-weekly to start to figure out your baseline. As you stock more heavily and corals grow you will need to adjust. I test weekly, I add what I need and adjust my dosers when necessary. Sometimes I'm lazy but if you are up on it your tank still stays stable.

OP
OP
blue.flyzz

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you need to figure out how much ca and alk the tank is using; dosing mg manually should be no problem, you'll likely only need to dose once or twice a month. You need to dose ca and alk at least 1/2 hour apart, I do 1 hour apart to prevent precipitation. I spread my dose throughout the day to keep it more stable, rather than one larger dose.

Choosing your product to figure out how much to dose to get the proper amount of ca and alk. I use b-ionic, each product will tell you how many ml to use to get ppm or dkh increase. You'll have to figure out the real total water volume of your tank taking in consideration displacement for rock and such.

As an example my 90g reef with I guess-timated about 70g of water. I use .4 dkh alk a day and 5ppm of ca. Using b-ionic I need to dose 20ml of each a day to maintain my level. I spread the 20ml over 8 time points throughout the day, alk on even hours and ca on odd hours. I generally need to dose mg every few weeks.

In the beginning you may only need to test weekly or bi-weekly to start to figure out your baseline. As you stock more heavily and corals grow you will need to adjust. I test weekly, I add what I need and adjust my dosers when necessary. Sometimes I'm lazy but if you are up on it your tank still stays stable.

thanks lion king!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back