New Trident?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m not mixing it up with Maven. I’ve talked with people in direct contact and have relationships with both manufacturers. The Trident is speculation but from conversation (that was had with Neptune/Ecotech but they won’t be specific about), the notion is that it’s going to be pretty expensive because of how complicated testing for Nitrate/Phosphate is with reagents and shelf life etc.

I’m just passing along what I’ve heard that is typically trusted.

I’m definitely hoping it will be the same cost or less than the original, but don’t be surprised if it comes out with a high price tag.
They would never release it at that price point because it would be a huge failure.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where near that price. First, no one would get it. Second, you just gave Maven the opening they need. Third, it cost them nothing to use the same molds/design for NP, it's just some basic reagents and programming, all the hardware is same as OG Trident.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we should find out the pricing soon. It is to be released this month, and already half of May is over. I'm sure it'll be a good seller if they price it right. First to market does have its benefits.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident NP pricing is $649 and $60 for 2 months of reagents. It doesn’t come with any lol
Sure hope this is what it ends up being. I’m just relaying what was said from a big distributor of theirs.

Everyone can laugh all they want - no one knows what it’ll be, but before you all mock, lay out your more solid sources before crucifying me.

I have a full Apex system with tons of modules, I’m rooting for it to be cheaper (if you look at my earlier post in this very thread, my personal speculation was $550-600).

OP
OP
RoanokeReef

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure hope this is what it ends up being. I’m just relaying what was said from a big distributor of theirs.

Everyone can laugh all they want - no one knows what it’ll be, but before you all mock, lay out your more solid sources before crucifying me.

I have a full Apex system with tons of modules, I’m rooting for it to be cheaper (if you look at my earlier post in this very thread, my personal speculation was $550-600).
The $649 and $59 is confirmed pricing. About what I figured but was hoping for $100 cheaper. Probably won't grab one since a Hanna test only takes a minute and I really only need the result once a week. Crazy at that price point they couldn't include a set of reagents to get you started.

1715944262875.png

Last edited:

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The $649 and $59 is confirmed pricing. About what I figured but was hoping for $100 cheaper. Probably won't grab one since a Hanna test only takes a minute and I really only need the result once a week. Crazy at that price point they couldn't include a set of reagents to get you started.

1715944262875.png
"Hey, so ABC Reagents totally blew up our market share, what should we price our new reagents at?"

"MORREEEEEEEEE"

"GENIUS!!!!!!"

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good, I was anticipating a bit higher for the machine. Imagine, as they have done with 1.0, that the reagents will be available in a 6 month supply. Will be interesting to see what the testing cycle is. I’ve ‘hacked’ my 1.0 to do half the minimum; perhaps that’ll be possible here also.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good, I was anticipating a bit higher for the machine. Imagine, as they have done with 1.0, that the reagents will be available in a 6 month supply. Will be interesting to see what the testing cycle is. I’ve ‘hacked’ my 1.0 to do half the minimum; perhaps that’ll be possible here also.
You’ll likely still be able to hack the cycle or do manual tests. But the new reagent you have to activate by mixing 2 bottles into one, so it starts a timer. So even if you test less, the reagent will degrade at some point. They said it’s 2 months but likely it’s slightly longer. But how long?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems more of a novelty for brand loyalists, than a breakthrough in testing, imo. If they included a third test, like say potassium or iodine, then it would be more valuable to me at that price point. But even then, it’d be a little difficult to rationalize the cost versus the frequency of testing required for those. But, some people will love it, it’s a new toy.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems more of a novelty for brand loyalists, than a breakthrough in testing, imo. If they included a third test, like say potassium or iodine, then it would be more valuable to me at that price point. But even then, it’d be a little difficult to rationalize the cost versus the frequency of testing required for those. But, some people will love it, it’s a new toy.
If it had N, P and Iodine I'd be a buyer at the current price. I just can't see it being worth that price to me in it's current form. I'm sure some people would buy it at any price though. I see this being a low volume item for Neptune.

Last edited:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll likely still be able to hack the cycle or do manual tests. But the new reagent you have to activate by mixing 2 bottles into one, so it starts a timer. So even if you test less, the reagent will degrade at some point. They said it’s 2 months but likely it’s slightly longer. But how long?
Super hard pass for me now knowing this.

AlaskaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Nitrates daily, so for me this is valuable. I test almost daily to see if my dose is holding the Nitrates where I want them and the P04 where I want them. Automating the testing and being able to control dosing off the automation would help quite a bit. Won't replace me, but would allow me to reduce my testing to weekly. I'll likely be ordering 4 of them on the 30th for all my tanks.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dose Nitrates daily, so for me this is valuable. I test almost daily to see if my dose is holding the Nitrates where I want them and the P04 where I want them. Automating the testing and being able to control dosing off the automation would help quite a bit. Won't replace me, but would allow me to reduce my testing to weekly. I'll likely be ordering 4 of them on the 30th for all my tanks.
Man, at a one time cost of $2,500 and a yearly cost of $872 (if $109 for 6 months) for reagents for 4 tanks, I think I would focus more on matching inputs to outputs and simplifying in other ways to control N and P.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I was in your situation, I'd absolutely have one. Just being to handle the automation for any dosing is critical.

Listen, I'm lazy. If I can spend some amount of money to make sure my parameters are in check, I'll spend it. The $700 ballpark price, even though there is a ton of margin in the product, pays for a lot of engineer time and would be worth it for a tightly controlled system that I can take a week or three vacation away from.

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1715944262875.png
^^ this... @ $649, rather just grab a couple Hanna tester to test Nitrates and Phosphates...besides, I don't test those parameters often enough to justify that price.

That's also why I'm not too excited about paying $1200 for a Maven even thou it seems like a far better product than Trident...

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1715944262875.png
This is slightly high but not bad. Basically the same price as original when considering the reagents. I’d still have to sit on this for a bit.

The NP is really for those that are still establishing a tank. An established tank you only really have to test nutrients once a week since it’s pretty stable at that point. Hanna will do for that.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It isn't a new toy but rather a new tool. Nothing else.

If someone is running low nutrients this could be a tool deployed to do something based on a result or show trends over time. Making slight corrections and letting automation do the scheduled testing consistently. Someone running higher nutrients and wants to lower them slowly without shocking the system? Again deploy the tool and do something based on a result.

In either case the tool is doing the heavy lifting consistently saving the hobbyist time. Not sure why hobbyist have to make something out of nothing. Either it falls into your tool box or it doesn't.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Matt btw when I ended with 'not sure why hobbyist' let me apologize as I wasn't referring to you. It was just a general observation that some of us do. I was re-reading it and I didn't like it so wanted to clarify.

Sorry. Hope your day is going well.

Back