New Trigger

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my latest acquisition. I apologize for the bad pics.

It is a Melichthys indicus - Indian trigger (grows to 9-10")- not to be confused with Melichthys niger, or the Hawaiian Black trigger (grows to 2 feet!).

0706102026a.jpg

0706102126a.jpg

0706102130a.jpg

OP
OP
110reef

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it has not messed with any coral, nor with any fish, nor my clam or any crabs and snails that I have seen. So far, a model citizen. I have read conflicting reports on its reef-safeness, some say it is great others say it is a terror. But there is also a lot of confusion between the indicus and the niger species as well, so who knows if the reports are for the right trigger. I will see how he does. I have already lost all my zoas due to my Moorish Idol, and had to move my hammers, frogspawns, and torches to another tank due to my Majestic Angel. So if i have to make accomodations for this guy, I will. I am more of a fish-guy than a coral guy, although I would ideally like to keep both.

OP
OP
110reef

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! He's gorgeous!!

Thanks! I like him very much so far!

The only other trigger I ever had was a 2" clown, and after it bit the head off my eel and shredded my butterfly in half, he promptly went back to the store. That was probably 25 years ago, and I have not been brave enough to try another til now....

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah love triggers too. just tried putting a 6in female crosshatch hawaiian trigger in my 180g. she bit the fin heck out of my anthias, bellus and blue gudgeon. she had to leave. but never bothered my corals one bit!

CapnMorgan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluejaw Triggers are model reef citizens. I have had them in a few tanks and never had an issue. I currently have a pair in my 180g and they don't bother anything.

Back