New UV Installation Thoughts & Advice

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefers,

I just bought a new oversized UV Sterilizer (40 Watt - Able to handle 350 Gal Systems). I wanted to oversize it becuase I plan on doing a big upgrade later down the road. Current system specs are in the signature down below. I want to run it at 1800 gph.

Question:

- Does anyone run their UV sterilizers 24/7, or for a set amount of hours during a 24 hour period?

Additional thought. If I am only able to run it at a lower flow rate (Say ~500 gph), then my thought is to "Definitely" run it for less hours within a 24 hour period to not completely sterilize the entire system creating any negative results. Exampe: only 2 or 4 hours daily.

Looking for some experienced reefer's inputs that have used UV sterilizers, but anyone is welcome to chime in. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7 which helps keep the quartz sleeve clean. I just changed it after a year and there was no algae or anything on it. I prefer to use a DC variable speed pump so that I can run it at high flow for clarity, or low flow if I am paranoid and think I saw a spot on one of my fish.

My frag tanks are fed by the UV treated water, and they are loaded with pods and bristle worms who make a living just in a few pieces of live rock and clinging to the bottom of frag tiles - so, the 24/7 does not seem to diminish the desirable micro fauna in my system.

The main reason I run it is for water clarity.

OP
OP
brmreefer

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7 which helps keep the quartz sleeve clean. I just changed it after a year and there was no algae or anything on it. I prefer to use a DC variable speed pump so that I can run it at high flow for clarity, or low flow if I am paranoid and think I saw a spot on one of my fish.

My frag tanks are fed by the UV treated water, and they are loaded with pods and bristle worms who make a living just in a few pieces of live rock and clinging to the bottom of frag tiles - so, the 24/7 does not seem to diminish the desirable micro fauna in my system.

The main reason I run it is for water clarity.

When you first installed the UV, did you notice a significant difference in clarity?

I was concerned about the micro fauna population when it is finally installed. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first installed the UV, did you notice a significant difference in clarity?

I was concerned about the micro fauna population when it is finally installed. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Yes I did, I posted pictures on my build thread of the before and after. I had a hazy whitish discoloration (bacterial bloom), which cleared nicely with the UV. I keep it running to hopefully help with parasites and dinos etc...

I should also point out that mine just runs in a parallel loop in and out of the sump, so there are lots of bypass opportunities for microfauna.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can’t give you the exact gph (because I didn’t measure), but I definitely don’t have the variable pump cranked too high. My thinking is that by running 24/7, slowly, I might get some Ich-destroying benefits as well as the algae destruction I’m really after. :)

Back