New UV Sterilizer ??

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a new Lifegard Aquatics 55W sterilizer on my sump with inlet coming from filter sock area and returning out to the return pump area. This was by far the easiest way to get this thing up and running.

I am wondering though, where and when will i actually see any difference in the water?? Will it be a few days or months and will it change my water tests at all?

Thanks
RR

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends if you had a problem you were addressing. Also, you need to realize that while easiest way to plumb for you it might not be as effective (flow rate) as needed. We all make trade offs. Mine is inline with return (but I need highest flow I could get to address dinos). Next tank will have closed loop just for UV.

Anyway - saw my difference in a week or so. My water was always clear, but it went from very clear to crystal and I think the UV is partly responsible. And my dinos have been managed ever since (long as I maintain flow right). Algae is better too, but suspect that's more nutrient control than UV.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends if you had a problem you were addressing. Also, you need to realize that while easiest way to plumb for you it might not be as effective (flow rate) as needed. We all make trade offs. Mine is inline with return (but I need highest flow I could get to address dinos). Next tank will have closed loop just for UV.

Anyway - saw my difference in a week or so. My water was always clear, but it went from very clear to crystal and I think the UV is partly responsible. And my dinos have been managed ever since (long as I maintain flow right). Algae is better too, but suspect that's more nutrient control than UV.
I have my pump turned down to about 35% at the moment. From what i have read if I need to flow rate slower to clean up some of the brown algae im seeing??

I do plan on putting a flow meter on it to check the exact flow.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is usually the higher flow lower exposure. But I may not be up to date on latest species specifics. Haven't heard much good about longevity of flow meters. Just used bucket and stopwatch. :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you want it faster. Dinos are killed easily with uv. Especially ostreopsis variety. I have the lifegard 90watt running off the return pump at about 900gph after head loss. Dinos dead after a 3 days or so in a bb tank.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an assist on doing the math there are two requirements that have to exist for UV to work correctly:
1) Proper UV exposure to kill/damage the organism you're targeting. That's dependent the organism, flow, power rating and age of bulb.
2) Enough flow to provide proper exposure and exceed the reproduction rate of the organism. That's dependent on size of tank, pump speed/rating, organism reproduction rate. Dinos have some species that can double in 20 min and require very high tank turnover 8x or more. Some are far less but require much higher exposure to kill/damage.

To achieve those two criteria and only have one UV unit, you need to calculate each end of the spectrum. What size pump/flow do you need to hit 8x turnover and still have min exposure and how big of UV do you need to hit max exposure at the lowest pump speed.

For smaller tanks this is relatively easy and less expensive. For larger tanks, this could require significant investment and complexity.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an assist on doing the math there are two requirements that have to exist for UV to work correctly:
1) Proper UV exposure to kill/damage the organism you're targeting. That's dependent the organism, flow, power rating and age of bulb.
2) Enough flow to provide proper exposure and exceed the reproduction rate of the organism. That's dependent on size of tank, pump speed/rating, organism reproduction rate. Dinos have some species that can double in 20 min and require very high tank turnover 8x or more. Some are far less but require much higher exposure to kill/damage.

To achieve those two criteria and only have one UV unit, you need to calculate each end of the spectrum. What size pump/flow do you need to hit 8x turnover and still have min exposure and how big of UV do you need to hit max exposure at the lowest pump speed.

For smaller tanks this is relatively easy and less expensive. For larger tanks, this could require significant investment and complexity.
thanks for the info but lets pretend for a moment that i dont have those type of math skills, what is an easier method!!! lol

RR

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone on this forum had success just buying some UCV led on a flexible strip and wrapping a clear flexible vinyl tube with the lights for about 2' of the return line hose? Would this not be a great DIY solution?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally 3-5 days and flow rate will help determine. You for sure do not want a fast rate of flow , nor slow- Moderate

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back