New vermited worm treatment?

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so am I!!!! Can you tell me which one? I am in central NJ and usually go to ACC.

I got them from Reefco on route 22. Owner Brian is a good guy. That store is a hike for me but they have nice corals and good amount of dry goods. ACC is closest for me.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB following closely to your success so please continue updating. I probably will get the calcium carbonate and try shortly. Guess I will just order from Amazon

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my first treatment last night. Stirred up the tank to get the mucus nets extended. Shut the pumps. I used up about a 5 mil syringe applying directly to the nets. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then turned the pumps back on.

This morning with the lights fully up, things look fine with normal polyp extension. Skimmer operating nominal.

I will muck up the tank again tonight to see if the mucus nets are diminished and treat again.
Keep us posted!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the calcium carbonate from Amazon. I got the 94%.

I don't have a huge problem with vermited yet but I've seen a few and they starting to pop up in places I can't get to.

I would love to get ahead of them and try to knock the buggers back.

Also....

Who doesn't want clearer water?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the calcium carbonate from Amazon. I got the 94%.

I don't have a huge problem with vermited yet but I've seen a few and they starting to pop up in places I can't get to.

I would love to get ahead of them and try to knock the buggers back.

Also....

Who doesn't want clearer water?
I started my tank with dry rock so these things must have come on frag. Now thousands all over tank. I am so amazed how things can just go crazy. I would get ahead of it. I also just got gone from lfs with 5 bumblebee snails to see what they will do and getting 5 more soon. Then trying this method. Good luck

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
example of what I am dealing with. This is one of my Coraline and Vermetid encrusted nerite snails

442D3DED-18F7-4E2A-9C40-7994AA10D5E9.jpeg

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
example of what I am dealing with. This is one of my Coraline and Vermetid encrusted nerite snails

442D3DED-18F7-4E2A-9C40-7994AA10D5E9.jpeg

Wow that is intense I have never seen snails covered like that.

So fair I have dosed every day 1/2 tbs of calcium carbonate for the last few days. Right now my tank is going through it's fallow period but I keep dosing Phytochrom and Coral Aminos, my water is getting clear but still detectable nitrates and phosphate. I am hoping I can starve these guys out before the fish come back.

This is the product I am currently using https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CO8M95E?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Reading more about marine snow makes me wonder if I should just do this every day forever as part of a feeding routine. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_snow

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third treatment last night. Again, about 20ml of solution sprayed over the nets with the pumps off. After 5 minutes turn it all back on. The mucus nets certainly trap some of the CaCO3, to the point they actually get "heavier". When the pumps come back on though, they tend to break off and get blasted around. So I am not sure how much gets ingested.

As everyone else reports, once the stuff gets filtered/skimmed out, the water is crystal clear. That much is noticeable. I can't yet report much change with the vermetids but will keep going.

Emerald reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have noticed my self when cleaning off the rocks or sand that the vertimid snails webs are at thee most predominant.(only with I could get my SPS to extend as much☹️) I started doing some research on eradication of these snails and got the se answers of certain bumblebee s as everyone else. Then I came across korralen zuchs coral snow which is to help fight cyanobacteria
I did se more digging and found reports of this helping with vertimid also. Similar to miles idea. I have bought some and have started dosing this past week after I stir the sand to get hem to extend just as Mike does. I will keep you posted on the progress. Reason it works is because they collect allot at on cc e and it is supposed to colog their feeding hole and starve them.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing mine now with the calcium carbonate and let you know how it goes. I will need to mark calendar because I loose track of time easily and think this will take awhile. Lol

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am on day 7 of the CaCO3 dosing. I think I should have done some before/after photography. I feel like it is making a gradual difference but some targeted photos of mucus nets would be really helpful.

What I can say without reservation:
a) Dosing so much that the tank is nearly milky has no apparent negative effects on coral, fish or desirable inverts. ~30ml in 120G.
b) The water is shockingly clear the next morning.
c) My socks are also clogged the next morning,
d) No apparent effects to ALK, pH, or nutrient measures at least to this point.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am on day 7 of the CaCO3 dosing. I think I should have done some before/after photography. I feel like it is making a gradual difference but some targeted photos of mucus nets would be really helpful.

What I can say without reservation:
a) Dosing so much that the tank is nearly milky has no apparent negative effects on coral, fish or desirable inverts. ~30ml in 120G.
b) The water is shockingly clear the next morning.
c) My socks are also clogged the next morning,
d) No apparent effects to ALK, pH, or nutrient measures at least to this point.
Good idea on pictures! I always forget especially when I want to gauge coral growth.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to take pics.

Is amazing how fast these basta**s spread. I had noticed about 3 or 4 of them but now I'm seeing them all over if I look hard. I see 4 of them grouped together on a front facing rock that I could swear were not there last week.
These are the ones I will pay attention to in order to see if this experiment works or not.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently on day 8 of doing this daily. I do feel like it's knocked the tiny ones back, looking closely it seems like the tips of thier tubes are white now; perhaps clogged? The large ones seem unphased by doing this, maybe they are large enough to handle the small particle size.

Has anyone had some of the larger ones get taken out by doing this? I have considered increasing the dose.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

How do I know if this is working or not?

I understand stopping the spread. I need to REALLY examine all my rock and corals to try to identify where the verminted snails currently are.
Once I've done that, I can see if they are still spreading or not but...

How can I tell if the one I have now are dead or dying?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

How do I know if this is working or not?

I understand stopping the spread. I need to REALLY examine all my rock and corals to try to identify where the verminted snails currently are.
Once I've done that, I can see if they are still spreading or not but...

How can I tell if the one I have now are dead or dying?
As ScottB did above, stir up your sand to get them to extend their nets so you can see where they are. The nets will not extend from dead worms

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this maybe controversial but I am thinking of knocking all the larger longer tubes down to expose them more. I know it won’t kill them unless I get to base. Also if the larger ones do die I will want to get rid of these tubes anyway. I am amazed how my fish don’t get all scraped up by them. Every hole in rock work has a Maze of sharp tubes. They seem to know how to navigate. Lol

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that if the snail stops casting a mucus net when you muck up the water, then it is dead. The mucus nets are what irritate the corals.
Do you have any feather duster/fan type worms? Im curious if this will wipe them out too, I have some pretty cool ones.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back