New vermited worm treatment?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question was on how this can kill or starve verminteds when it would bind with the actual food therefore making it easier for them to get the food.

I think I understand the concept of it mucking up their nets.
I would think that they get more energy from the more concentrated food though.

Perhaps they dont eat what its collecting? (total speculation just an attempt at an answer) or perhaps its some type of problem with to much food (seems unlikely but I dont know?)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to be misunderstood.
I understand that Kz coral snow is not a coral food. I understand it's a water clarifier (flocculent).

My question was on how this can kill or starve verminteds when it would bind with the actual food therefore making it easier for them to get the food.

Is my thinking wrong?
Honestly I don't know. I intend to stick with it for a few months and see if I can knock them back.

But I am thinking a little more about what @Brew12 said above, and what I wrote a page or two ago about my treatment process and observation. Stir up tank. Mucus nets go out. Turn off pumps. Spray nets with CaCO3 solution. The nets get heavily laden and white.

After a few minutes, I turn circulation back on. My 120G display runs 2 X MP40s and 2 gyres so I have very high flow.

The mucus nets then go flying into the water column. So whatever food the mucus nets had collected ends up going out the overflow. Not back into the snail like I had speculated. As @Brew12 said: the snails expended energy, but got no food in return. That is not sustainable.

Maybe I should increase my frequency?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Interceptor used to treat hydroids? Supposedly will kill all your snails too.. Maybe would work on Vermeted snails? May be a hassle because of all the other organisms in your reef that would need to be removed and held outside the DT for potentially a few months.. BUT...

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all bring up very valid points. To further add to Scott’s last comment. I believe I did see a controlled or reduced number a while back when I was basting my rocks every day to help get nutrients down and I was blasting those nets off every day. Also I do wonder if it’s more of the reduced nutrients in tank. Like others said I will just keep going and see how it ends. Worse case is my water is very clear. Lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to be misunderstood.
I understand that Kz coral snow is not a coral food. I understand it's a water clarifier (flocculent).

Is my thinking wrong?
My understanding is that it takes time for it to absorb the potential nutrients from the water but it will foul the mucus nets almost immediately. Once trapped in the mucus it won't help attract any food.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

If I break off their tube, do the tube grow back?
I'm not talking about killing them be breaking the tube off, just breaking the tube so it's not a long.
Would that cause the vermiteds to spread?

I ask because I am wondering if breaking the tube and NOT seeing them regenerate would be an indication of dead or too weak to grow and spread vermiteds?

Last edited:

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, I break off the tubes every time my hands are in the tank. Sure hope I’m not making it worse by spreading them around!

I figured that they can’t eat without it and have to use energy to rebuild. Guessing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

If I break off their tube, do the tube grow back?
I'm not talking about killing them be breaking the tube off, just breaking the tube so it's not a long.
Would that cause the vermiteds to spread?

I ask because I am wondering if breaking the tube and NOT seeing them regenerate would be an indication of dead or too weak to grow and spread vermiteds?
I don't believe it causes them to spread based on my understanding on how they reproduce.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it causes them to spread based on my understanding on how they reproduce.

Great.

How DO they reproduce?
and...
Is my idea of breaking the tubes off a good idea?

Again, I do not have a large problem with vermiteds (yet) but I have more than I would like and I would really like to get a jump on them BEFORE I end up with an actual infestation.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great.

How DO they reproduce?
and...
Is my idea of breaking the tubes off a good idea?

Again, I do not have a large problem with vermiteds (yet) but I have more than I would like and I would really like to get a jump on them BEFORE I end up with an actual infestation.
The male snails spawn into the water. The females catch it in the mucus nets and then use it to fertilize their eggs that are within their shell.
I don't see any harm in breaking the tubes off. I used to do it fairly regularly.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Could breaking off the tubes cause them to spawn as a stress response? I was smashing them at first not realizing how deep they actually go into the tube....I have thousands now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Could breaking off the tubes cause them to spawn as a stress response? I was smashing them at first not realizing how deep they actually go into the tube....I have thousands now.
Sorry, I have no idea.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...

I think this DIY Coral Snow is working.
I've been pretty OCD with it since starting to use it but it seems to be having the desired effect. I have been using the DIY Coral Snow 1 to 2 times a day everyday since starting.

Tank is REALLY clear. Looks amazing. I doubt the camera will show it but I will try to take a pic.
Vermited snails (worms) "seem" to cast less nets into the water when I disturb the sand. Hopefully that's an indication of dead vermiteds.

I will continue with this. Who knows, I may wind up getting a stirrer and putting the Coral Snow on a doser to automate.

Where can I find an inexpensive stirrer?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these vermited worm nets?

tempFileForShare_20201119-082703.jpg

tempFileForShare_20201119-083217.jpg
tempFileForShare_20201119-083308.jpg

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

The first looks to be a brittle star leg, and the other 2 are hydroids.

All 3 pics are of the same strand of whatever it is.
I have 2 brittle stars in the tank. Both are large and look nothing remotely like that.

It's not hydroids either.

Last edited:

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "think" i've confirmed these are the nets.
I have a few and on some of them, I can see they are connected to the tubes.

I don't seem to have as many active nets but I still have way more than I would like to have.
Needless to say, I will continue using the DIY Coral Snow.

I'm looking for an inexpensive magnetic stirrer so I can automate this with my Apex and Dos.

Anyone know where I can find an inexpensive magnetic stirrer?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not real change as far as the vermatids, still dosing it daily but considering stopping. Tank has developed a small dino outbreak and thus I am thinking of stopping all my supplements until resolved.

My water has been amazing clear during this time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back