New vermited worm treatment?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOh look this weeks vermetid snail miracle cure thread!

FWIW, this pops up every now and then. Nothing new to see here, reef snow has been talked about to kill verms for many years now(heck I remember talking about it 5 or so years ago on RC). Coral snow works, almost. It will not eradicate them, but it can help keep thier population in check.

I will say I finally eradicated them from my tank, but I would not suggest to anyone accidentally happened to me to actually kill them all. An ATS light fell off my ATS(thought I screwed it down when I actually hadn't), a 150W LED light fell into the sump and it literally exploded sending broken glass and god knows what was in the smoke. Needless to say my corals were slightly peeved for a day or so, but it killed every single vermetid in my tank!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, this pops up every now and then. Nothing new to see here, reef snow has been talked about to kill verms for many years now(heck I remember talking about it 5 or so years ago on RC). Coral snow works, almost. It will not eradicate them, but it can help keep thier population in check.

I will say I finally eradicated them from my tank, but I would not suggest to anyone accidentally happened to me to actually kill them all. An ATS light fell off my ATS(thought I screwed it down when I actually hadn't), a 150W LED light fell into the sump and it literally exploded sending broken glass and god knows what was in the smoke. Needless to say my corals were slightly peeved for a day or so, but it killed every single vermetid in my tank!
Alright then. If CaCO3 does not help, I have a spare LED I can drop in. I am about that done with vermetids. ;)

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be total coincidence but when I used DIY Reef Snow my pulsing Xenia pretty much stopped pusling. I also have these dang snails and was considering trying to starve them out with snow but was also worried about my other filter feeders..

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to watch the video myself, but my initial thoughts would be that reef snow would feed them . . isn't the whole idea of reef snow to be a filter feeders food? It states for Anemones, Corals, Dusters etc.. right on the bottle
He says in the video that he stirs up the tank and when they come out, he adds the reef snow and they intake it and it kills them.

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually been using this method. I don’t dose it every day but once a week. The idea of how it works is you stir up the tank so the lil buggers start eating, add the diy snow and they eat that and choke on it and die
Have you seen a reduction in numbers of these vermin?

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand there is no way to overdose the stuff. I take about a tablespoon of calcium carbonate and mix well with rodi water. Dump it in my return chamber of my sump at lights off. In the morning tank is clear and the skimmer has pulled out a bunch of junk. Nice thing about the stuff, it cleans the water column too
Do you have to run a skimmer to do this? I don't run one.

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now that's drastic measures. Lol

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few bumblebee snails in the tank for this reason but I can't tell that they are helping. Do they reach into the tube to kill them?

they will cover the tube and suck the flesh out.

@Ligershark where did you get your bumblebee snails? I thought I read some where there are slightly different variations and only one kind proved successful.

I am in NJ and purchased them a local aquarium shop.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they will cover the tube and suck the flesh out.

I am in NJ and purchased them a local aquarium shop.
Hey so am I!!!! Can you tell me which one? I am in central NJ and usually go to ACC.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my first treatment last night. Stirred up the tank to get the mucus nets extended. Shut the pumps. I used up about a 5 mil syringe applying directly to the nets. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then turned the pumps back on.

This morning with the lights fully up, things look fine with normal polyp extension. Skimmer operating nominal.

I will muck up the tank again tonight to see if the mucus nets are diminished and treat again.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my first treatment last night. Stirred up the tank to get the mucus nets extended. Shut the pumps. I used up about a 5 mil syringe applying directly to the nets. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then turned the pumps back on.

This morning with the lights fully up, things look fine with normal polyp extension. Skimmer operating nominal.

I will muck up the tank again tonight to see if the mucus nets are diminished and treat again.
Please keep us posted! My bumblebee snails aren’t doing much.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second treatment. After the sand blast I cannot sy I saw appreciably less of the mucus nets. Hard to say if any vermetids died from the first mild treatment. Considerably larger targeted dose this time about 20ml. Will see if any corals object tomorrow. This morning was fine.

Spydersweb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got bumblebee snails for my mini vermatid outbreak, but they could care less. Funny thing is that I got a Valentini puffer, and that little guy eradicated them in a couple of days. Any time a baby vermatid pops up, he’s on it. Granted I only have soft corals, so I don’t know if they eat the others. But him eating the vermatids was a pleasant surprise

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second treatment. After the sand blast I cannot sy I saw appreciably less of the mucus nets. Hard to say if any vermetids died from the first mild treatment. Considerably larger targeted dose this time about 20ml. Will see if any corals object tomorrow. This morning was fine.

From what I understand you don't need to individually treat them. Stir up tank to get the webs out, broadcast dose coral snow and rinse repeat every day for a month or two.

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is coral snow?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back