New vermited worm treatment?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very interesting thread! My 40g is overrun with vermatid snails. I’m going to try the coral snow to see if that helps. Could a bumble bee snail go in a tank my size? Also, the last time I went through the tank and crushed them with plier, I had a big nutrient increase. When they die off, will they cause a rise in NO3 and PO4? Don’t mean to highjack but thought these questions were relevant to the thread. Thanks!!!

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee snails are very small. I have a dozen in a 40 QT right now and I hardly see them.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I stopped the CaCO2 after 2 weeks I was afraid it was going to put a film on inside of my uv. I also added about 15 bb snails but have not seen any positive results yet. Urg!

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if they are just a phase in our tanks now days? My tank will be 2yrs in March. Early on I had a huge populations of the vermited snails. I did add 2 bb snails to DT(240gal) as part of cuc and 2 to my 55gal QT that was for coral QT. I always blew my rocks off before water changes and would see tons of nets. Would knock off what I could but didn't have corals in dt until 1year so not as concerned. Later added the 55gal snails to the dt plus 2 more I picked up with more snails. Then had some other issues to worry about. (Huge hair algae problem I fought with for about 6 months. For Christmas we just added a huge cuc to fight this Hair algae again and now that I can actually see my rocks again I barely see the nets and few tubes. Maybe the hair algea smothered them out and tied up the nets?? Water ever helped with them Thinking it is just part of the maturing of the tank maybe???

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if they are just a phase in our tanks now days? My tank will be 2yrs in March. Early on I had a huge populations of the vermited snails. I did add 2 bb snails to DT(240gal) as part of cuc and 2 to my 55gal QT that was for coral QT. I always blew my rocks off before water changes and would see tons of nets. Would knock off what I could but didn't have corals in dt until 1year so not as concerned. Later added the 55gal snails to the dt plus 2 more I picked up with more snails. Then had some other issues to worry about. (Huge hair algae problem I fought with for about 6 months. For Christmas we just added a huge cuc to fight this Hair algae again and now that I can actually see my rocks again I barely see the nets and few tubes. Maybe the hair algea smothered them out and tied up the nets?? Water ever helped with them Thinking it is just part of the maturing of the tank maybe???
I agree your theory of the GHA crowding them out. Not so much with you about tank maturity or them being a phase as I am going into year7 with these things. I don't have them figured out yet. My latest attempts have included 24 bumblebees (a month in), DIY Coral snow (2 months), no more coral food powders (6 months). Not seeing much change.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "think" i've confirmed these are the nets.
I have a few and on some of them, I can see they are connected to the tubes.

I don't seem to have as many active nets but I still have way more than I would like to have.
Needless to say, I will continue using the DIY Coral Snow.

I'm looking for an inexpensive magnetic stirrer so I can automate this with my Apex and Dos.

Anyone know where I can find an inexpensive magnetic stirrer?
How’s the year update of the DIY snow looking? Asking for a friend…

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back