New wild acro RTN. Anything I can do?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. I bought a colony from LA divers den. Been in the tank 5 days now. Looked good until this morning. Flesh is peeling off in multiple spots on the colony. Haven't made any changes since introduction.
Salinity 1.026
Alk 7.9
Mag 1350
Calc 420
Nitrates just over 5ppm
PO4 .02
1606770344110351487929474330513.jpg

I've heard wild colonies can do this, but It's really disappointing.
Do I leave it be and hope the RTN stops?
I'm afraid to pull, dip and frag because I don't want to stress it any more. Will I lose the whole piece if I don't?
Every other acro in the tank is happy.
I, however, am not. :(

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's all cut up now. Made 5 large frags that are (for now) rtn free and set em in the sand. ~200-220 PAR and low/moderate flow.
Went ahead and put the leftover pieces with RTN'd tissue in my cube.
Who knows... I've thrown a few pieces in there that I thought were a lost cause, and was proven wrong...

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the frags ended up RTNing. Dead within the next 24 hours. I sent in a claim with Liveaquaria since the piece did have the 14 day guarantee. Hopefully my attempt to frag and save it didn't nullify the guarantee!
KIMG0197.JPG

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the species was Acropora tenuis. While there are a number of captive propagated strains/color morphs that are popular and quite hardy, a lot of wild A. tenuis tend to be very sensitive and adapt poorly to many people's aquariums. I have a couple wild A. tenuis that have been with me for a few years. They are slow growing compared to the popular captive strains and always the first to show signs of stress if something in the tank changes... even after years in captivity. My guess is that it has something to do with where these recent collections have come from compared to the past, but who knows. I generally stay clear of wild acros when I can now. So many captive propagated options.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is once acros go down that route dont try to stress it more by fraging, just let it go in peace. I have an acro colony that is dying slowly from the tips...not an RTN though.

moonwaxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup years ago ive had good luck with LA DD and there Acro colonies. Yet as of the last several years Ive tried a few times and they all end up Dead..?? Not sure what has changed. I have givin up on getting much from them any more. Sorry about your coral man .. Sucks..

michael giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD is a waste the corals are super stressed before you get them. Just look at the pics, by the time you receive them and dip them there’s little chance of long term success. Save your money and buy from hobbyist or quality LFS. Or pool your cash together with friends and buy your own box of indo’s.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you buy aquacultured they come from very big and super stable systems compared to our home tanks. So we we are doomed either way..lol

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, LA honored thier 14 day guarantee, so I have some credit now.
Maybe I'll try something easier like a clam or two. ;Joyful
I agree with you folks suggesting aquacultured pieces. However, the price on the wild piece was so good, I had to give it a try!

Greg Hiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not purchased a wild colony in probably almost a decade. But when colonies in my system start to RTN, I agree with the advice from before, get a frag from an area good and far from the problem. Doesn't always work, but works plenty a times. Also good in general just to have another frag or two of any particular coral you like in a different place in the tank. Also of course spread 'em about to other buddies and you can ask for them back one day.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that sucks. I’ve never had luck with fragging rtn colonies. I have had luck with superglue. For example I would have clipped that dead branch and smeared superglue over the death line well onto living flesh. That’s worked for me A few times but I’ve also ended up with a big ol ball of superglue ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back