New

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Robby; glad to finally be a member here after using this forum over the past nearly 8 years into my saltwater journey. After the past few months expanding my knowledge into the hobby watching hours and hours of BRSTV videos (mentioning this forum thousands of times), reading posts on here, and personal experience; finally joined the forum.

My tank started in the summer of 2012 and is a 55 gallon when I acquired everything but the physical tank and stand. It started life as my buddies nano 26 gallon saltwater tank in 2010 that we both worked on and maintained in a joint venture to see if we could have a thriving saltwater tank. Figured 2 people doing the work would make it easier. The tank jumped to a 75 gallon tank for about a year then my buddy lost interest in the tank, and I was working a lot of overtime; and it turned into a hair algae forest of epic proportions. So I ended up with the setup minus the tank and stand after about 3 to 4 months of it being an algae farm (which oddly enough my buddy gave to me 6 years later due to it taking up too much space, and is now my freshwater tank). I just took down my 55 gallon Pacu tank and decided to finally jump into saltwater.

I used all the original equipment from the tank and just transferred it over since they were in the size range to work with the smaller tank. Then for the following 3 years I was recovering the entire setup from the infestation of algae and smaller degree the move. It has been a rough journey with the tank. From algae that refused to let go of the tank including lights off for nearly a week and marine algacide. A heater sticking on for no less than 9 hours making tank over 90 degrees and several heater failures just not working. Multiple power outages one lasted a few hours thankfully in the summertime. A cat breaking through the lid and going for a swim totally disturbing everything and knocking in the turned on light electrocuting the tank enough to trip the breaker. Full tank white out from cat peeing in the tank. Red film algae plague. Skimmer somehow pumped 30 gallons of water from the tank onto and then leaked through the floor into the room below which thankfully and oddly enough leaked directly into the sink below. A nearly total tank crash I'm now nearly fully recovered from. The tank itself leaked and damaged the stand so I had to run quickly to the only open store (Walmart) and buy a new tank and stand, enough water to make up for what was lost and that I didn't have stored, and enough storage totes to put the entire tank into before I lost everything.

I have now fully replaced every single component of the tank some multiple times; and even had to emergency replace the tank and stand before a total loss

Through all this I never actually gave up and never fully lost the tank. Lost all but one coral that is still alive but is healing lost tissue from the near crash. Several fish and likely hundreds of inverts. Spent thousands of dollars to keep it going. But; the tank still has one Yellow tail damsel from the original nano tank build going on 9 years old, and still has one remaining coral from the nano. 50% of the live rock is true Fiji live rock before they had to stop selling it and from the original tank 9 years ago along with the sand bed. The tank has 2 ocellaris clownfish that I believe have become a mating pair now, a yellow tail damsel, a firefish goby (I believe that's the name), and a scopas tang. Also has assorted snails and hermits, and a single blue ridge coral.

The stage with the tank now is I'm preparing it to be able to support some beginner level corals. I have the tank nearly stable and with the help of the sump I just finished installing a week ago well on my way. Sorry for the long post but after reading things on here and all the passion I've seen with this hobby; thought my tank journey would be of interest and helpful to get to know me

82311741_237749943906789_2407756269545848832_n.jpg 82749467_494403941212288_6937935091574243328_n.jpg 83019227_113540239980395_4928776161036599296_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
skyline99nissan

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Great tank and I see you have awesome taste in cars :)
Wtr2r4.gif
Thank you. Tanks been a struggle but I think I finally have a handle on it now. As the full time head mechanic at my shop and gear head it's hard to not have a decent taste in cars, lol Besides my Camaro I've fully rebuilt and LS Swapped; getting a 1982 De Lorean running and driving again after 26 years in storage are probably some of my more proud badges of automotive honor, lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
skyline99nissan

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Glad you could join us!
Thank you; glad I finally joined. Think if it wasn't for my most recent near crash when the alkalinity in a matter of a week plummeted to less than 2 and the nitrates were over the max level of my test kit of 200ppm; and the recovery process and decision to go the coral route and save the tank; I probably would of shut the tank down

Brittmcoleman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Robby; glad to finally be a member here after using this forum over the past nearly 8 years into my saltwater journey. After the past few months expanding my knowledge into the hobby watching hours and hours of BRSTV videos (mentioning this forum thousands of times), reading posts on here, and personal experience; finally joined the forum.

My tank started in the summer of 2012 and is a 55 gallon when I acquired everything but the physical tank and stand. It started life as my buddies nano 26 gallon saltwater tank in 2010 that we both worked on and maintained in a joint venture to see if we could have a thriving saltwater tank. Figured 2 people doing the work would make it easier. The tank jumped to a 75 gallon tank for about a year then my buddy lost interest in the tank, and I was working a lot of overtime; and it turned into a hair algae forest of epic proportions. So I ended up with the setup minus the tank and stand after about 3 to 4 months of it being an algae farm (which oddly enough my buddy gave to me 6 years later due to it taking up too much space, and is now my freshwater tank). I just took down my 55 gallon Pacu tank and decided to finally jump into saltwater.

I used all the original equipment from the tank and just transferred it over since they were in the size range to work with the smaller tank. Then for the following 3 years I was recovering the entire setup from the infestation of algae and smaller degree the move. It has been a rough journey with the tank. From algae that refused to let go of the tank including lights off for nearly a week and marine algacide. A heater sticking on for no less than 9 hours making tank over 90 degrees and several heater failures just not working. Multiple power outages one lasted a few hours thankfully in the summertime. A cat breaking through the lid and going for a swim totally disturbing everything and knocking in the turned on light electrocuting the tank enough to trip the breaker. Full tank white out from cat peeing in the tank. Red film algae plague. Skimmer somehow pumped 30 gallons of water from the tank onto and then leaked through the floor into the room below which thankfully and oddly enough leaked directly into the sink below. A nearly total tank crash I'm now nearly fully recovered from. The tank itself leaked and damaged the stand so I had to run quickly to the only open store (Walmart) and buy a new tank and stand, enough water to make up for what was lost and that I didn't have stored, and enough storage totes to put the entire tank into before I lost everything.

I have now fully replaced every single component of the tank some multiple times; and even had to emergency replace the tank and stand before a total loss

Through all this I never actually gave up and never fully lost the tank. Lost all but one coral that is still alive but is healing lost tissue from the near crash. Several fish and likely hundreds of inverts. Spent thousands of dollars to keep it going. But; the tank still has one Yellow tail damsel from the original nano tank build going on 9 years old, and still has one remaining coral from the nano. 50% of the live rock is true Fiji live rock before they had to stop selling it and from the original tank 9 years ago along with the sand bed. The tank has 2 ocellaris clownfish that I believe have become a mating pair now, a yellow tail damsel, a firefish goby (I believe that's the name), and a scopas tang. Also has assorted snails and hermits, and a single blue ridge coral.

The stage with the tank now is I'm preparing it to be able to support some beginner level corals. I have the tank nearly stable and with the help of the sump I just finished installing a week ago well on my way. Sorry for the long post but after reading things on here and all the passion I've seen with this hobby; thought my tank journey would be of interest and helpful to get to know me

82311741_237749943906789_2407756269545848832_n.jpg 82749467_494403941212288_6937935091574243328_n.jpg 83019227_113540239980395_4928776161036599296_n.jpg
Beautiful

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Robby, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Great introduction, definitely one of the better 1st introduction thread reads for 2020. Do you have pictures of the cat getting electrocuted? :) Is the cat still alive? So many questions after reading your saga.
Thanks for posting here :)
Again, Welcome to Reef2Reef.

OP
OP
skyline99nissan

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about it now after writing that.... Realized like I think many seasoned reefers may have already known or been through it. At the time I didn't think I could afford to start over from scratch and just start completely over and just avoid all the issues with the tank for the first few years and likely everything to follow. But now thinking about it; the cost to just buy everything new for the interior of the tank and a few of the essentials would of saved me thousands. I have spent at least 2 or 3 times that now just dealing with what I have; and not buying new sand, rock, lighting, and skimmer in one shot to start over and just remove the problem all together; most likely anyways

OP
OP
skyline99nissan

skyline99nissan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Robby, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Great introduction, definitely one of the better 1st introduction thread reads for 2020. Do you have pictures of the cat getting electrocuted? :) Is the cat still alive? So many questions after reading your saga.
Thanks for posting here :)
Again, Welcome to Reef2Reef.
Thank you; very much appreciated. I don't think I have any pictures of the tank for that one; was in a panic so documentation wasn't even considered plausible in that moment. It was f***; save the house and then the tank second. I will have to go through a bunch of folders and see if i can find some pics of the journey and try to post them in chronological order

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back