Newb from State College PA

grabbermj

View Badges
Reaction score
Very new to the hobby, have a 65g cube tank that is about 6 months old. So far, I haven't had any huge problems, but I have made a few mistakes. I bought a cheaper protein skimmer (Coralife super skimmer) for my sump and just scrapped it and replaced with a better one (Reef Octopus eSsence 130). I also purchased some led lights that looked neat and had some cool features (Current Marine IC LED pro) but I am now realizing that they will have a hard time supporting SPS (if/when I get to that point). But that is a year or so out and I guess I can buy another fixture then if needed. But the biggest mistake I made was using tap water w/conditioner instead of RODI. I had a significant algae bloom and decided to buy and install a RODI unit, my water quality has increased significantly. I should have started with a RODI unit..... Anyway, i am looking forward to learning all I can about the hobby!!

David Matthews

View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome to R2R! im not to far away from you, Im about a half hour north of Harrisburg. Idk if youve plunged into the world of corals yet or not but if you ever want to come down someday lmk I have plenty of stuff I could give if you ever want to get your feet wet. Good way to learn and it wouldnt cost a thing. Half the time I end up throwing stuff out when trimming and this way it gets put to good use. I hurts my cheap soul after I buy something care for it and then the reward is throwing it out. Almost feels sacrilegious lol. Anyways, welcome and good luck in your endeavors!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 413 60.7%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 164 24.1%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 117 17.2%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 449 66.0%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 71 10.4%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 452 66.5%
  • Soft Corals Hard

Votes: 60 8.8%
  • Soft Corals Easy

Votes: 449 66.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
The IceCap Gyre is back and better than ever!