Hi Amanda, Welcome to R2R !!!

minions-welcome_orig.jpg

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Amanda and welcome. Sounds like you are doing it right with patience and forethought. You should be able to get some GSP for free from local reefers. Look around before spending the cash. Let us know how the scratch cleaner works. Cant wait to see the set up.

Goose91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I do not. I am going to purchase distilled water and then use reef accelerator. Do you have any better ideas?
I have a 35 gallon and dont use rodi or distilled. I use my town water and just add water conditioner to take out the chlorine. My tap water is hard water and there is virtually nothing else in it but chlorine or perhaps some floride.. so my fishes teeth should be extra healthy ;Happy. Im 5 months in and am having no issues so far from using my tap water. So my opinion is rodi water isnt something to die over if you cang afford it. Having access to readily available water is more important. Meaning youll want a way to have access to water 24/7 that you can complete a 100% change because you just never know.

But welcome to reef 2 reef. This place is the best place ever.
~ Goose

FB_IMG_1569941470050.jpg

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Taking your time is the biggest part of this hobby so it's good that you're already keeping that in mind. One thing that I'd suggest is to skip the shrimp - they can get stinky. Find some Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride (virtually every online aquatics store and many LFS's sell it) and dose that instead using Dr Tim's fishless cycle method you can find here https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Taking your time is the biggest part of this hobby so it's good that you're already keeping that in mind. One thing that I'd suggest is to skip the shrimp - they can get stinky. Find some Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride (virtually every online aquatics store and many LFS's sell it) and dose that instead using Dr Tim's fishless cycle method you can find here https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling
Would you suggest that method or purchase live rock from someone's 180 gallon? Or both?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Glad you joined the community!! We welcome and look forward to your success in the hobby.
Place RO unit on your Xmas wishlist. Although distilled water acceptable, most LFS sell RO WATER. I would purchase that for now. 5 gallon bottles or buckets will be your friend for transport

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Besides the advice already in the thread. I also like to carry around tic tacs in a medicine bottle.
When conversation turns to your tank; if their eyes blank out, offer them one. When they ask what it is, “the third pill option from the matrix”.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on vetteguy. I don't have a rodi yet, but buy my saltwater and rodi from a lfs. It's not nearly as expensive as I thought when I first got in, (5 months ago). Rodi is still on my wishlist though.

Btw welcome to R2R, and congrats on the new tank! This hobby has been a great source of both stress and stress relief

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,
My name is Amanda. I'm getting ready to set up a reef tank. I got a 25 gallon acrylic cube used.
Waiting on novus scratch cleaner to arrive in the mail so I can get it sparkling again.
I'm going to be taking my time with it, making sure all the levels are perfect before adding livestock. I plan to start with 2 clownfish when I do. Thinking about getting some green star polyps to eventually cover the back wall. Also interested in adding frogspawn.
To start, I got Dr. Tim's one and only and I plan to use frozen brine shrimp to get the bacteria go grow. For equipment I have Aqua Knight. Aqua clear canister filter, hydor heater, dry aragonite and dry rock.
If you have any tips or comments feel free to drop an opinion.
Thanks for accepting me here:)
Welcome, your doing it right, take your time, go slow. Thanks for sharing, comrade

1 of 27 carnation corals, dendronephthya sp.

Screenshot_2019-10-02-09-26-32.png

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest that method or purchase live rock from someone's 180 gallon? Or both?

If you can get live rock from someone you trust that'll be a big boost to your tank, but you'll still need something to feed the bacteria that forms the basis for the nitrogen cycle, and that's going to either be Food, Fish Poo, or Ammonium Chloride. I'd personally much rather have the ability to control how much ammonia is in the tank myself so it's easy for me to measure how quickly the tank handles it. If you setup your rock and dose 2ppm of Ammonium Chloride, and 24h later there's no detectable ammonia in your tank, you're set! The rock did its work. If not, keep testing every day until it hits zero, then dose back up to 2ppm and repeat until your tank eats it all in a 24h period.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back