Newbie-ish

MrsSchlatter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weve had a biocube 29gal since 2014 or 15. We also within the last year bought a used established tank that was 6 years old. About a month after moving it and setting it back up I believe it either. 1. Stirred up too many toxins, 2. Re-cycled. Anyhow I lost everything but 2 clowns. And I battled nitrates like crazy. Anyhow it also got cyanobacteria (probably had it when we bought it). And I stupidly used the same syphon for both tanks on cleaning day and it went into my biocube. So I treated both tanks and of course nitrates are now crazy high in both tanks. And I've lost all but one clown in the large 90gal tank including snails and crabs. And all but an urchin, pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and a couple snails and a crabs in my biocube. I've neglected the big tank because I just want to take it all down and start over. The biocube I plan to just probably remove half the sand and 75% of water to help with nitrates, add some new sand, and change chemipure more often. Anyhow. My question is more for the big tank. I want to remove all the sand first. Then Can I treat the tank again for cyanobacteria before breaking it all down? I see theres some red growth on the glass below the sand. Once I treat for that and it's gone I plan to completely drain the tank, and completely empty our 2 eheim canister filters and start with all fresh media and filter pads. But what should I do with all the live rock in the tank? Does it need some kind of dipping process, or could it be left in to recycle the tank? Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
tenor (3).gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thanks for the introduction!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang... well... welcome to the forums, such that you can be. Hope that you get everything cleared up with your tank. Thankfully, it sounds like you have a good plan to combat the issues. Regarding the rock, it may be best to wipe them clean, but other folks here likely have better advice.

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
I think you will find two camps - one that tells you bleach the rock and cure it again for a true restart, and the second camp that will tell you to reuse the rock as is if you sure you don’t have pest problems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back