Newbie Looking to get started

OlPainless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for solid advice since I have not purchased anything yet and haven't totally convinced my wife to give me a full green light.

I am looking to start a 40 gallon tank with rock and fish and move to some soft coral. Nothing crazy, just want to keep everything alive and not throw money in the fire. I am hoping I can get by with a cheap 40 gallon from Petsmart and it won't hurt me in the long run. I also plan to run a canister filter like the Marineland 220, a heater and a wave maker. I will probably also start with dry sand and dry rock so I don't have any pests to deal with. How am I doing so far? From research, it sounds like I will need to run the system with just the rock and sand for a few weeks before I add fish to get the algae built up or add some algae in a bottle. After I feel I can keep a stable tank with no fish I will probably add only 2-3 fish and some clean up crew. This sounds pretty straight forward to me but I would love for the reefer community to poke holes in plan before I get started. This is also my first post here so be gentle.

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I am not very ahead of you. I have a 46 gallon bow front tank. I just bought everything last friday and started cycling the tank. I bought half live rock and half dry rock. I am adding bacteria everyday for the first week. I am hoping to have my tank cycled within the first 2-3 weeks. I am just starting to get the rust color algae on on my rocks and the cycle is just beginning. You do have the right idea. I have two water pumps in my tank. I have one for the top and one for the bottom of the tank. I have also used dry sand. I didn't usu a canister filter. I just used the normal aquaclear 110 size. This will be good enough for my tank. I am going to be adding HOB protein skimmer before I buy my first fish. If you do half live rock it will definitely speed up the cycle for you to be able to put the fish in. I am looking to do some soft corals and a few fish as well. So far everything has been going extremely well for me. I am about a week in and everything is right on track! You have the right idea for sure! Once again welcome to R2R

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome!
You have actually a very strong and solid plan. Go for it as you mention it.
When you have al set up and running you will need to cycle your tank and that could be made adding a raw (dead) shirmp and some bacteria activator product.
You will also need a way to check on your water parameters so a refractometer and a test kit are very useful.
Oh, almost forgot... patience, patience and more patience! If you rush it you crash it ;)

So go for it and if wife asks "It was already there" or "It was only $20"

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R. Got to watch those canister filters . They can be a nitrate collector for a reef tank . You might be better off looking on Craig’s list or something like that in your area where you can find an existing saltwater tank with sump. You will save a lot more money buying someone else’s tank and you will not have to buy another tank a year from now that is bigger.
You need to buy Dr Tim’s ammonia and bacteria to cycle your tank if you go that route . This is a fish less cycle and works great if done correctly ..

good luck !

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best advice I have is to see if there is a reef club anywhere near you. Also start checking craigslist and offer up for various parts.
Will save you some if you don’t have 3+ grand to start. It gets real expensive real quick.

I could also just have an issue with getting what I want

I bought a 60 gallon cube, full setup except skimmer from a guy 1 hr away on offer up because he was moving a week later!

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R Welcome.jpg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want get one of these as well to help get the cycle going.
Micro bacter 7
Dr Tim's One & Only

Kaldos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to concentrate more on corals, you can get away with a pretty small tank. In fact, I would recommend a 20 Gallon all-in-one (like a Nuvo 20) if you wanted a coral tank with just a few small fish.

If you mostly want fish, i would go for a bigger tank.

I have two tanks; a 75 gallon, fish only tank, (with a Hydor canister filter), and a 10 gallon, coral only tank (with a couple small, janitor duty, fish).

Recommendations for a sump system are absolutely correct, but I did not have room for one.

Both tanks are fun, but, for you, I would think the smaller coral tank would be a the best bet.

Much easier to setup, easier maintenance, and most importantly, the wife will probably really like it.

Get Dr. Tim's ammonia to get the cycle started.

I don't think the bacteria starters really help that much, but the ammonia in a bottle (that can be precisely dosed) is a real help. Add enough to get 2PPM, and then wait (like a few weeks).

Here's a list of corals (that I like) that would be good choices to start with (after the tank cycles).

Green Star Polyps
Richordia Mushrooms
Zoanthids
Candy Canes
Acans

One more big thing, related to cost.

For a fish only tank, any light will do (like a $60 light on Amazon).

For the coral tank, you have to have the good stuff (like a Kessil or AI Prime) that would run about $250).

The coral setup is totally worth it. All told, I think you'd be looking at around $500.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
Your plan sounds good. You just dont have the lingo down. ;-)
Be sure to clean your filter often.
If you have not looked at this I would.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OlPainless

OlPainless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R. Got to watch those canister filters . They can be a nitrate collector for a reef tank . You might be better off looking on Craig’s list or something like that in your area where you can find an existing saltwater tank with sump. You will save a lot more money buying someone else’s tank and you will not have to buy another tank a year from now that is bigger.
You need to buy Dr Tim’s ammonia and bacteria to cycle your tank if you go that route . This is a fish less cycle and works great if done correctly ..

good luck !
So I ended up buying a used 36 gal bow front tank over the weekend, saved some money that way. I unfortunately don't have the space for a sump at the moment but I was doing a little research on HOB skimmers instead of a canister or BIo-wheel. Any thoughts on an HOB skimmer and any recommendations? I am still trying to keep it a simple fish tank for now but a long ways down the road, add a few soft corals, nothing crazy.

OP
OP
OlPainless

OlPainless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
Your plan sounds good. You just dont have the lingo down. ;-)
Be sure to clean your filter often.
If you have not looked at this I would.
Working on the lingo

OP
OP
OlPainless

OlPainless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to concentrate more on corals, you can get away with a pretty small tank. In fact, I would recommend a 20 Gallon all-in-one (like a Nuvo 20) if you wanted a coral tank with just a few small fish.

If you mostly want fish, i would go for a bigger tank.

I have two tanks; a 75 gallon, fish only tank, (with a Hydor canister filter), and a 10 gallon, coral only tank (with a couple small, janitor duty, fish).

Recommendations for a sump system are absolutely correct, but I did not have room for one.

Both tanks are fun, but, for you, I would think the smaller coral tank would be a the best bet.

Much easier to setup, easier maintenance, and most importantly, the wife will probably really like it.

Get Dr. Tim's ammonia to get the cycle started.

I don't think the bacteria starters really help that much, but the ammonia in a bottle (that can be precisely dosed) is a real help. Add enough to get 2PPM, and then wait (like a few weeks).

Here's a list of corals (that I like) that would be good choices to start with (after the tank cycles).

Green Star Polyps
Richordia Mushrooms
Zoanthids
Candy Canes
Acans

One more big thing, related to cost.

For a fish only tank, any light will do (like a $60 light on Amazon).

For the coral tank, you have to have the good stuff (like a Kessil or AI Prime) that would run about $250).

The coral setup is totally worth it. All told, I think you'd be looking at around $500.
So I bought a used 36 gal over the weekend, it came with a lid, cheapo LED lights and a few other things, not bad for $50. My plan would be to run fish for awhile until I have an excellent grasp of what I am doing and not sending fish to their deaths! Eventually adding a few corals. I too don't have room for a sump so was leaning canister but saw a post about hob skimmers, any knowledge on those? Dr. Tims seems to be the way to go, everyone is saying go that route.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back