Newbie need help with Kole Tang

Learning_uncle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help, Today i spotted something like wound on my yellow eye kole tang. She’s perfectly fine yesterday. Any suggestion of what happen and how to cure D0012257-F880-4ADD-A3A2-F3C5F937E2A0.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2913.MOV
    17.6 MB
OP
OP
Learning_uncle

Learning_uncle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other questions:
How old is your system?
Was she qt'ed? How?
What are you feeding her?

My system is 6 month old and did 4 weeks quarantine with cupramine. She did not eat well so far and always busy hunting algae on the rock all day long. The rest of the fishes eat mysis.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well given that stock list, and not saying that I’m right about this, but that looks like a clownfish bite. My clowns go after my Kole while he’s “working” if he gets too close to their egg clutch or their favorite spot that day. Happens all the time, he heals in 2-3 days. This has been going on for 5 years. If that is it I’d say you have nothing to worry about.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Forgot, how large is the system?
Not sure what the spot on her is. Looks like injury, so keep an eye on any red patches around it or peeling fins (signs of bacteria infection).
A bit of info, Kole tangs and lawnmower blennies need good mature systems to keep their proper diet. They are pigs and feed mostly on the type of algae on the rocks and build up on the walls. Make sure to try feeding different types of algae flakes, sheets, pellets, to give variety.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help, Today i spotted something like wound on my yellow eye kole tang. She’s perfectly fine yesterday. Any suggestion of what happen and how to cure D0012257-F880-4ADD-A3A2-F3C5F937E2A0.jpeg
I’m can’t see for certain if the lesion extends deep into the muscle, or if it is superficial. If the latter, since it showed up overnight, I would say an injury and just wait and see. If it is deep though, it may have erupted from a deep seated infection and that can be terminal.
Just from what I read, it sorta sounds like this tang is mostly getting by on algae in the tank...could you supplement with dried nori?

Jay

OP
OP
Learning_uncle

Learning_uncle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m can’t see for certain if the lesion extends deep into the muscle, or if it is superficial. If the latter, since it showed up overnight, I would say an injury and just wait and see. If it is deep though, it may have erupted from a deep seated infection and that can be terminal.
Just from what I read, it sorta sounds like this tang is mostly getting by on algae in the tank...could you supplement with dried nori?

Jay

Thank you for your response, really hope that its not a terminal one. I have tried AF veggie clip and ocean nutrition red and brown algae but she doesn’t seem like interested. Trying to get some green seaweed (abit hard to get here) and really hope can find something she like.

OP
OP
Learning_uncle

Learning_uncle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Forgot, how large is the system?
Not sure what the spot on her is. Looks like injury, so keep an eye on any red patches around it or peeling fins (signs of bacteria infection).
A bit of info, Kole tangs and lawnmower blennies need good mature systems to keep their proper diet. They are pigs and feed mostly on the type of algae on the rocks and build up on the walls. Make sure to try feeding different types of algae flakes, sheets, pellets, to give variety.

Thank you for the advise and will observe the wound. Tried to give flakes and pellet but she didn’t eat it. Quite lucky that there’s more algae popping up lately to keep her occupied. Hopefully she will eat some food soon.
My tank is 4x2x2 ft.

OP
OP
Learning_uncle

Learning_uncle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well given that stock list, and not saying that I’m right about this, but that looks like a clownfish bite. My clowns go after my Kole while he’s “working” if he gets too close to their egg clutch or their favorite spot that day. Happens all the time, he heals in 2-3 days. This has been going on for 5 years. If that is it I’d say you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you for your reply and really hope its not internal illness. She a little bit shy so i’m not surprise if the snowflakes attack her, although i never see the clown bite any other fish, but she did very protective of the fake anemone where she sleep at night.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back