Newbie on a budget

regisshan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I've been lurking here for a few months and have gathered so much helpful information!

I'm new to salt water tanks and it's safe to say I'm obsessed. Unfortunately, I'm in the final weeks of getting my PhD so I'm super broke. At least it forces me to take it slow!

What are your best tips for reefing on a budget?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Congrats on the new letters!

Clownfish.gif

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! My last reef was on a budget. I found a local guy who was moving selling a drilled 90gal and stand for 125$ sump and all! I bought this and that slowly over time mostly off internet used stuff from locals. I built a solid tank and kept sps, lps.... you name it. So it can be done. Also Making friends with the LFS owners is always a bonus. They will often take care of you! Good luck !

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t go overly big, the bigger, the more cost like anything.
Move sequentially in terms of doing only those things you need to do to get your baby maturing.

So glass, water, rock, heat, flow, a bottle of bacteria and let that cook for some months while your finishing….

This is a long term hobby, slow is always better.
Have fun, and welcome to R2R.

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Define budget.... used equipment, tank breakdown sales, and DIY can get you pretty far, as long as you have the patience and time to search for good deals. Local clubs often have good deals from members looking to get rid of gear or livestock.

OP
OP
R

regisshan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a 36g bowfront that I transitioned from a fresh water setup several months ago! It runs off a sunsun canister filter and has ~20lbs of rock. It's home to a green spotted puffer, two clowns, and a few small frags (my duncan is doing great and has 5 new heads!)

Is the canister filter contributing anything besides flow at this point? Should I get rid of it in favor of a different mechanical filter system?

I want to upgrade the tank size when I move (in January) since 36 is going to be too small for the puffer long term, and this seems to be a good time to do it.

Is there anything I shouldn't get used?

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a 36g bowfront that I transitioned from a fresh water setup several months ago! It runs off a sunsun canister filter and has ~20lbs of rock. It's home to a green spotted puffer, two clowns, and a few small frags (my duncan is doing great and has 5 new heads!)

Is the canister filter contributing anything besides flow at this point? Should I get rid of it in favor of a different mechanical filter system?

I want to upgrade the tank size when I move (in January) since 36 is going to be too small for the puffer long term, and this seems to be a good time to do it.

Get a used sump but discard any media. Also I reccomend not getting a used heater. Those scare me lol

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s very hard to be on a budget in this hobby. I’m just starting too and I’m pouring money in my tanks…

Your best best is to buy used from someone who gave it a shot and gave up a year or so later. You’ll have potentially great equipment at half the cost and probably less.

Buying new, even a small tank, is really expensive. I don’t know why it is so much more expensive than freshwater honestly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh good. . . . . . someone else on a budget. Here is mine:

costs.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This tank running 4 years on a canister filter, sand and rock.
I used it for mechanical filtration and deploying media’s
Just keep it clean so the big stuff it traps does not add to the nitrate numbers.

welcome to the fun….100’s of ways to keep a reef…no 2 exactly the same.
DB016C44-B7E0-4048-80E8-90D4D6FFE90F.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back