Newbie Overflow Issues

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well wadaya know. Since you have two drains in your overflow you can do a herbie style plumbing for pretty much silent operation.
Stockman standpipe is for single drain tanks.
Google herbie, a valve and a couple of elbows gets you going silent

When you get your aqualifter place it on top of overflow box or higher but definitely not lower than the top of the overflow box. Incase pump fails or hose pops off it could get messy/siphon
Thanks for all the info you’ve been mad helpful , I appreciate it and ye the Aqua will be on top of the overflow and I plan to cut the return tube just above the water line so the syphon will stop if power ever goes out (a lot of extra room in sump for water but better safe)

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info you’ve been mad helpful , I appreciate it and ye the Aqua will be on top of the overflow and I plan to cut the return tube just above the water line so the syphon will stop if power ever goes out (a lot of extra room in sump for water but better safe)
That’s the ticket

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do yourself a favor and test all scenarios after your plumbing is complete so that you know what will happen in both a power outage or should your overflow stop draining (siphon break). I put together a video below where I test scenarios. Knowledge is your best defense.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

My new Sicce 1.5 pump came yesterday evening and what do you know? Everything is running perfectly! I cranked the pump to its highest setting and it seems to be a perfect match for my overflow. I actually feel like we could get away with more flow, but I don't think it's necessary considering the size of my DT. I do, however, feel that I am going to need to look into some quality power heads to up the overall tank flow, so that will be my next venture.

We re-plumbed everything per all of your recommendations, so thank you all again for your feedback!

The final result is as follows:

Overflow to 1" drain hose
/\ ||
|| \/
Return pump to 3/4" flexible tubing to 3/4" PVC

3'-0" EShoppe 1" Drain Hose:

Sicce Synchra Silent 1.5 Multifunction Aquarium Pump:

All is working wonderfully now and I couldn't be happier!

Side Note: Now that everything is functioning as it should be, my overflow box is nearly silent. I will post a video with the sound shortly.

Thank you all again!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

My new Sicce 1.5 pump came yesterday evening and what do you know? Everything is running perfectly! I cranked the pump to its highest setting and it seems to be a perfect match for my overflow. I actually feel like we could get away with more flow, but I don't think it's necessary considering the size of my DT. I do, however, feel that I am going to need to look into some quality power heads to up the overall tank flow, so that will be my next venture.

We re-plumbed everything per all of your recommendations, so thank you all again for your feedback!

The final result is as follows:

Overflow to 1" drain hose
/\ ||
|| \/
Return pump to 3/4" flexible tubing to 3/4" PVC

3'-0" EShoppe 1" Drain Hose:

Sicce Synchra Silent 1.5 Multifunction Aquarium Pump:

All is working wonderfully now and I couldn't be happier!

Side Note: Now that everything is functioning as it should be, my overflow box is nearly silent. I will post a video with the sound shortly.

Thank you all again!

Nice

for circulation pumps would probably go with a pair of Jebao ow-10 or equivalent Jebao model.
I know many bash Jebao and not saying they are best eva... but great bang for buck and ime as, or more, durable than many other well known and widely used brands.

Thanks for the upbeat update

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

for circulation pumps would probably go with a pair of Jebao ow-10 or equivalent Jebao model.
I know many bash Jebao and not saying they are best eva... but great bang for buck and ime as, or more, durable than many other well known and widely used brands.

Thanks for the upbeat update
Thank you very much for the recommendation! I actually just bought two of them and they'll be here tomorrow (thank you, Amazon Prime!). They're actually the first ones I've seen that are consistently highly rated and they have some pretty neat functions. Definitely a solid starting point, considering I literally had no idea where to start! Haha!

Thank you very much, again!

Jebao OW-10 Wavemaker:

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as sound is concerned, my box is generally pretty quiet, in my opinion, with the foam sleeve silencer and the acrylic lid. The lid is the real MVP, though, as you can see in the video. The whole thing is still noisy enough that I may end up giving that DIY stockman a shot but for now I'm content to listen to the water flow ;) I think the majority of the sound is actually coming from the drain hose, so I'm really not sure how to remedy that. When hubby gets the doors on the stand, I'm sure it will really help quiet everything down too, but I suppose we won't know for sure until it's done!

This will be my last update post on this thread as long as everything continues to function well with my overflow set-up. Thank you all again!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back