Newbie Question about my Clowns

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got them a last weekend. They started out swimming as most fish horizontally than all the sudden all they do is swim vertically at the back of the tank. They did eat this morning. I’m just wondering if this is normal.

first video is of this odd behavior second is from a few days ago.
I returned the anemone as I was worried he was going to eat my baby goby as he moved from on top to underneath the rock.
I have a 16g biocube

Do I need to run a wave maker as well? I do have one but haven’t ran it

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are stupid, pretty, but stupid. My experience is they'll clown around and adopt most anything. But every tank setup seems to have a "Clown Corner" where they all will go and hang out all day long.
I've seen them adopt mag scrapers more than anything else in my tanks. Personally, I'm about to rethink the whole Clown fish thing.
Just let them be pretty. It's what they do!
:rolleyes:

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and what are the water parameters?
Yep, good question. That tank looks pretty darn new.
Contrary to what a LFS probably told you, Clowns are not a good choice for cycling a brand new tank.

Better choice is go fishless using Dr Tim's, pieces of shrimp, or whatever as initial ammonia source coupled with starter bacteria. Wait 4-6 weeks and then test your water. If all looks good, then introduce the clowns.

I'll catch h--l for this one, but buy two damsels as starter fish and then give them to someone as trigger food after your tank cycles.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, good question. That tank looks pretty darn new.
Contrary to what a LFS probably told you, Clowns are not a good choice for cycling a brand new tank.

Better choice is go fishless using Dr Tim's, pieces of shrimp, or whatever as initial ammonia source coupled with starter bacteria. Wait 4-6 weeks and then test your water. If all looks good, then introduce the clowns.

I'll catch h--l for this one, but buy two damsels as starter fish and then give them to someone as trigger food after your tank cycles.

my tank has cycled. I did a 15% water change yesterday and had LFS check water for me. Everything was in range. I don’t have the numbers with me I’m in bed. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back