OneDayCephs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY all,

So I'm kind of new to the hobby... havnt even set up my first tank yet. Still working on getting all the parts for my 20G tank. I'll prolly have my first tank be a coral garden with a clownfish or 2.
Anyways other than introducing myself I had a question. 2 years ago I bought a big sponge I was thinking of having sit in the back of a tank and being a focus with the LR to the sides of it. But my research has me worried thatg might be a bad idea with it cutting flow to the glass behind it it might become a refuge to late.

Any thoughts?
I'll try and get a pic of it when I get home.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought a big sponge? Can you elaborate? Is it like one of those decorative pieces you pick up at the little thrift shops? I don't know that I'd risk it putting it in a tank.

OP
OP
O

OneDayCephs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it. Found it for $1 at a garage sale and couldn't say no.

20170727_152619.jpg

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Ok I would definitely recommend a bigger tank than 20 gallons. Water would be so much more stable. Avoid gallons from 20-40 because you would want to degrade or upgrade your tank later on. Smaller tanks would be great for species only fish such as frog fish, Jawfish, clowns, Pipefish and much more. Do not put that sponge in as it may ruin your water chemistry. Get a sump definitely with a good protein skimmer. Get good lights such as T5 or Radions, Kessil, Aquaillumination. And over all get live corals and a few inverts (Shrimps, crabs, feather dusters) you would enjoy this hobby much more. Do not get all in one Aquariums you will regret it due to the small space for equipment. I want new people getting into salt water to enjoy and be happy caring for their tanks and soon grow into reefing, upgrading tanks and discover the more advanced items in this hobby. Please before you buy anything post it here I'm sure you will get opinions from experienced people that have been in this hobby for many years. Wish you good luck on this project!

-Sung

OP
OP
O

OneDayCephs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll keep it out and find another use for it! Thanks! I wish I could go higher. But at the moment due to living in an apartment I can't do any bigger. Once I get a house I definitely want to go much bigger.

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll keep it out and find another use for it! Thanks! I wish I could go higher. But at the moment due to living in an apartment I can't do any bigger. Once I get a house I definitely want to go much bigger.
Upgrading tanks are extremely satisfying and the excitement is real. What are your plans for this tank and what corals/fish/invert?

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as said above take things slow and plan things out. There are a ton of really cool creatures in this hobby that you may never think existed in this world such as harlequin Shrimps and Shrimpfish. Have fun researching and discovering more about this hobby.

Girthrockwel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! What part of Bama are you in? I'm about 20 minutes north of Birmingham. I've got an old 55g and stand I can donate to the cause if you'd like to go bigger.

OP
OP
O

OneDayCephs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up in Huntsville. Unfortunately right now I don't have specific plans laid out. Need to find some easy to keep corals (zoas?) And either a Gobi/ shrimp pair or a pair of clowns. My LFS has some tiny frags for $5 I was considering starting with.

Girthrockwel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your tank setup and cycled which can take a while. During that time start looking for some hardy fish. I'd wait just a little while for coral if I were you. Just get everything running and consistent first.

badhabits

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
The first things I would plan would be filtration and aqua scape as these tend to take up the most space in your tank.I am in Panama City FL so I can ship you a few things I am no longer using if you need them . Welcome to the hobby

OP
OP
O

OneDayCephs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update,
I was just given a 28G tank and now I'm considering that being my DT and the 20G being a sump and/or refug ium. Anyone have advice on how to set that up? Or any links I could use to read up?

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up videos and instructions online on how to build a over flow and plumbing. I myself do not know how to because I have been following the Red Sea Max and Reefer Series which was done for me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back