Next Fish

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I am starting up my first salt water tank. I have two Ocellaris clown fish, 4 Nassarius Snail , 2 Banded Trochus snails, and 1 cleaner shrimp. I love the brightly colored fish. I have a 75 long tank and since it will be two weeks since I added the clown on Saturday, I wanted to know opinions on the next couple of fish to add (needless to say, all my water parameters are flawless or I wouldn't even be considering adding fish). build thread has pictures of the tank. any suggestions on some more colorful friends to add? there are so many to choose from I haven't even seen all the common ones I would bet, that's why I'd love some people to share their favourites!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research, research, research!!

You want to first determine what the plan for your tank will be...peaceful, aggressive, predator. Then, you must now make sure anything you choose doesn't think your shrimp is on their dinner menu! You'll probably do best with a peaceful tank now that you have the shrimp. You also must determine if you are going to have coral or not. There are some really nice colorful fish but they may be known to eat coral.

Then once all this is decided, start taking a look at online sellers who list all this things about every fish and you'll soon find some that fit perfectly.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research, research, research!!

You want to first determine what the plan for your tank will be...peaceful, aggressive, predator. Then, you must now make sure anything you choose doesn't think your shrimp is on their dinner menu! You'll probably do best with a peaceful tank now that you have the shrimp. You also must determine if you are going to have coral or not. There are some really nice colorful fish but they may be known to eat coral.

Then once all this is decided, start taking a look at online sellers who list all this things about every fish and you'll soon find some that fit perfectly.
so, my plan right now is peaceful or semiaggressive tank, since the clownfish have been known to be jerks, but also want to protect the CUCs. I do plan on having Corals in the future, but at the moment I'd like my tank to be a little more established since I know corals can be primadonas. I still intend to do a ton of reasearch, I was more hoping for suggestions of fish other people like to get me looking down the right path XD

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely research each fish to make sure it’s right for you! I like to add a mixture of fish- active swimmers, fish that hang out on rocks, fish that stay near the sand bed- to get that “reef” look.
Anthias are beautiful and active but have some special care that they require.
Wrasses are colorful and active and there are so many to chose from, but they require a lid and some need sand.
A lot of Gobies like to hang out on rock work or sandbed and are generally pretty easy fish but they can be bullied in my experience

I went ahead and followed your build thread so I could see what you picked. Good luck!

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely research each fish to make sure it’s right for you! I like to add a mixture of fish- active swimmers, fish that hang out on rocks, fish that stay near the sand bed- to get that “reef” look.
Anthias are beautiful and active but have some special care that they require.
Wrasses are colorful and active and there are so many to chose from, but they require a lid and some need sand.
A lot of Gobies like to hang out on rock work or sandbed and are generally pretty easy fish but they can be bullied in my experience

I went ahead and followed your build thread so I could see what you picked. Good luck!
Those are definitely some good ideas. I want to stress that I'm not just going to go buy the first fish y'all suggest. I am just looking for starting places for my research XD. I am a real noob with salt water fish so I am definitely looking for beginner fish. will put some research into Wrasse and Gobi though.

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely some good ideas. I want to stress that I'm not just going to go buy the first fish y'all suggest. I am just looking for starting places for my research XD. I am a real noob with salt water fish so I am definitely looking for beginner fish. will put some research into Wrasse and Gobi though.
I’m only saying it cause I have bought several fish on a whim and always had to take them back lol

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some common, easy fish are chromis, firefish, bengaii cardinal, royal gramma, lawnmower or starry blenny, I don't know, there are so many!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, my plan right now is peaceful or semiaggressive tank, since the clownfish have been known to be jerks, but also want to protect the CUCs. I do plan on having Corals in the future, but at the moment I'd like my tank to be a little more established since I know corals can be primadonas. I still intend to do a ton of reasearch, I was more hoping for suggestions of fish other people like to get me looking down the right path XD
Awesome plan... same as mine actually!

My favorite fish is a Midas Blenny... very peaceful and definite personality! I also have 3 orange striped cardinals which are really nice but very skiddish... but, too be fair they are little! My leopard wrasse is beautiful but probably the biggest bully of any smaller fish. Firefish are pretty, but hide away alot due to fear. I mixed a fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp... both get along great together. Diamond goby is very peaceful and cleans the sand nicely. I had 2 clowns but lost one for some unknown reason... it was the female and she was really mean. Now with only one clown, things are more peaceful. Wrasses are beautiful, but you just have to be careful since some can be nasty...i believe it's the fairy wrasses that are more peaceful but don't quite me in that without researching it first. And don't discount the crazy looking different types of snails...a mixture of different types actually look neat in a tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 75 I assume it’s a 4’ tank. Here are some suggestions to consider:

-Red / Purple / Magnificent / Helfrichi Firefish

-A trio of Zebra, Scissortail, or Blue Gudgeon Dartfish (Firefish need to be in confirmed pairs)

-Most Cardinalfish (Captive-Bred and ONLY CB Bangaiis, Pajamas, Orange Striped)

-Halichoeres wrasses (Yellow Coris, Melanurus, Red Lined, Claudia’s etc.)

-Dwarf Angels (Atlantic Cherub, African Flameback, Brazilian Flameback, Pacific Pygmy, Coral Beauty, Flame)

-Blennies (Tailspot, Bicolor, Midas, Starry)

-Shrimp and Goby pairs (Yellow Watchman, Orange Spotted, Randall’s, Wheeler’s, Pink Spotted etc.)

-Fairy and Flasher Wrasses

-Pink Streak and Possum Wrasses

-If you’re willing to take a bit of a risk with shrimp, Flame Hawkfish, Long Nose Hawkfish are the most peaceful among Hawkfish.

-Grammas, Reef Basslets and Assessors (any of them will fit into a 75)

-Trio of Chalk Bass (a fish we never see in Asia)

-Chromis (Get the Black Axils over C. Viridis if you can)

-A smaller species of Tang (Bristletooth family- Tomini, Yellow Eye Kole, Squaretail, White Tail)

-More peaceful damselfish of the genus Chrysiptera and select species from Pomacentrus (Yellow Tail Blue, Azure, Talbot’s, Springer’s, Tricincta, Stacki’s, Rolland’s, Neon, Allen’s, Caerulean etc.)

-Smaller Anthias

-Maybe even a smaller butterfly from the Roaps subgenus of Chaetodon and the Atlantic Longnose (?)- Burgess, Tinker’s, Mitratus etc.

-Some Dottybacks (Orchid, Sankeyi, Springer’s etc.)

If you’re up for some husbandry challenges:

-Mandarin Dragonets (only if you can provide enough pods for it)

-Some Leopard Wrasses

-Coral Gobies (Gobiodon sp.)

It’s important that you try to fill all the “space” in your tank with fish that occupy different niches. You’d ideally want a mix of active fish, somewhat static / slower swimming fish, perching fish and sand / substrate dwellers.

I wouldn’t put a Foxface or Zebrasoma Tang in a 75 unless it’s for the short term.

Maybe even a Six-Line or Mystery Wrasse or a Red Stripe or Yellow Candy Hogfish but heard that should be your only wrasse.

Are your Clowns Ocellaris?

Last edited:

reefviper101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I am starting up my first salt water tank. I have two Ocellaris clown fish, 4 Nassarius Snail , 2 Banded Trochus snails, and 1 cleaner shrimp. I love the brightly colored fish. I have a 75 long tank and since it will be two weeks since I added the clown on Saturday, I wanted to know opinions on the next couple of fish to add (needless to say, all my water parameters are flawless or I wouldn't even be considering adding fish). build thread has pictures of the tank. any suggestions on some more colorful friends to add? there are so many to choose from I haven't even seen all the common ones I would bet, that's why I'd love some people to share their favourites!
6 line wrasse or a yellow tang a bristle tooth tang vary colorful plus utilitarian

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome plan... same as mine actually!

My favorite fish is a Midas Blenny... very peaceful and definite personality! I also have 3 orange striped cardinals which are really nice but very skiddish... but, too be fair they are little! My leopard wrasse is beautiful but probably the biggest bully of any smaller fish. Firefish are pretty, but hide away alot due to fear. I mixed a fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp... both get along great together. Diamond goby is very peaceful and cleans the sand nicely. I had 2 clowns but lost one for some unknown reason... it was the female and she was really mean. Now with only one clown, things are more peaceful. Wrasses are beautiful, but you just have to be careful since some can be nasty...i believe it's the fairy wrasses that are more peaceful but don't quite me in that without researching it first. And don't discount the crazy looking different types of snails...a mixture of different types actually look neat in a tank.
I'm definitely planning on having some cool CUCs, Right now I have the two types of snails. idk if I want more shrimp, as eye catching as they are, but definitely looking at maybe an emerald crab or two, a brittle star, and a bunch of different snails. I've always had a fondness for snails. I will definitely look into those fish too!

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 75 I assume it’s a 4’ tank. Here are some suggestions to consider:

-Red / Purple / Magnificent / Helfrichi Firefish

-A trio of Zebra, Scissortail, or Blue Gudgeon Dartfish (Firefish need to be in confirmed pairs)

-Most Cardinalfish (Captive-Bred and ONLY CB Bangaiis, Pajamas, Orange Striped)

-Halichoeres wrasses (Yellow Coris, Melanurus, Red Lined, Claudia’s etc.)

-Dwarf Angels (Atlantic Cherub, African Flameback, Brazilian Flameback, Pacific Pygmy, Coral Beauty, Flame)

-Blennies (Tailspot, Bicolor, Midas, Starry)

-Shrimp and Goby pairs (Yellow Watchman, Orange Spotted, Randall’s, Wheeler’s, Pink Spotted etc.)

-Fairy and Flasher Wrasses

-Pink Streak and Possum Wrasses

-If you’re willing to take a bit of a risk with shrimp, Flame Hawkfish, Long Nose Hawkfish are the most peaceful among Hawkfish.

-Grammas, Reef Basslets and Assessors (any of them will fit into a 75)

-Trio of Chalk Bass (a fish we never see in Asia)

-Chromis (Get the Black Axils over C. Viridis if you can)

-A smaller species of Tang (Bristletooth family- Tomini, Yellow Eye Kole, Squaretail, White Tail)

-More peaceful damselfish of the genus Chrysiptera and select species from Pomacentrus (Yellow Tail Blue, Azure, Talbot’s, Springer’s, Tricincta, Stacki’s, Rolland’s, Neon, Allen’s, Caerulean etc.)

-Smaller Anthias

-Maybe even a smaller butterfly from the Roaps subgenus of Chaetodon and the Atlantic Longnose (?)- Burgess, Tinker’s, Mitratus etc.

-Some Dottybacks (Orchid, Sankeyi, Springer’s etc.)

If you’re up for some husbandry challenges:

-Mandarin Dragonets (only if you can provide enough pods for it)

-Some Leopard Wrasses

-Coral Gobies (Gobiodon sp.)

It’s important that you try to fill all the “space” in your tank with fish that occupy different niches. You’d ideally want a mix of active fish, somewhat static / slower swimming fish, perching fish and sand / substrate dwellers.

I wouldn’t put a Foxface or Zebrasoma Tang in a 75 unless it’s for the short term.

Maybe even a Six-Line or Mystery Wrasse or a Red Stripe or Yellow Candy Hogfish but heard that should be your only wrasse.

Are your Clowns Ocellaris?
yes, it is a 4 foot tank, and yes, my clowns are Ocellaris. This is a lot of suggestions, thank you so much for taking the time

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've done some research but decided to poll the audience before doing anything I regret, I'm thinking about doing a pair of royal Grammas as my next two fish (adding fish in pairs for now to try and make sure I don't add too much too fast).I saw Grammas mentioned a lot and from what I'm reading they're perfect for beginners. thoughts?

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parameters are you testing to consider the water flawless?
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 (doing a water change tomorrow), phosphate 0, calcium 420, dKH 12, pH 8.2, SG 1.022

not to mention, the most important test, I've got some snails, a shrimp, a crab, and 2 fish who all appear happy and healthy :)

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also worth mentioning I don't consider the water flawless, because there are obviously some things that could be in there that I'm not testing for. I said the parameters were flawless, because, well, the basic parameters are.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did something stupid... or maybe not. I went to the LFS but they had no Grammas, so I drove into town. there they had a very pretty Coral Beauty who'd been there for a month or so... so I spent about an hour watching him and researching... and he is now acclimating... so yeah, I hope that works out. I noticed some people did mention Dwarf angels though. plan to do a lot more reading tonight.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back