Next steps with tank after all fish die?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I am certain of that but thanks for the reply.
Any chance that it was something like a power outage either while you were out and about, or while you were asleep, that caused oxygen levels to plummet to 0 and suffocate your fish?

Also just to be sure, your returns are facing up to the water surface, correct? Cause if you don't have either the returns or powerheads facing up towards the water surface, then you won't be getting oxygen in the tank.

Other than that, only thing I can think of is either there being faulty wiring in like the pump cord or heater that led to an electrical current being present, or that one of the fish had a disease that spread to thw others and they all died of it.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone with an aquarium full of water and electrical driven components in said water should have a ground probe in the water running to a GFCI protected receptacle. To me this is a requirement for safety.
Our tank cracked two months before we had electrical issues and we quickly through everything into quarantine and our RO barrel. We got a used tank from a friend and put back together and the GFCI was ruined by water when the other tank cracked and we must have forgotten the grounding probe and then we had the electrical surge when the return pump failed and killed 8/11 fish.. was awful. But the next day we replaced all the equipment, put in new GFCI and grounding probe. Wish we would’ve lost our fish to learn that tough lesson but yes you are right. :(

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See clown fishes are pretty hardy imo. I’m thinking the power outage cause for some bacteria to die due lack of oxygen, which then cause a small spike, triggering stress response on the clown, causing flutes or brook to take them out.... I had the tones of fishes die in my begging days in this hobby, not from oxygen, but because of ammonia/nitrite spike from not having enough beneficial bacteria. Just get back in... you got this! Lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back