Nick's 345G Build

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating between going big and deep (84x48x28) or just getting an ELOS 200xl. Since you have experience with both, which would you recommend? My fiancé and I just moved into a new condo which seems huge now since we just left NYC for Florida, but we will likely move to a house once we have kids reach elementary age. The only downside to going giant is knowing this won't be our forever home. I'm thinking at least 5-10 years here. ELOS systems are BEAUTIFUL, but I'm not sure 31.5" depth is enough, nor 23" height. Never had an ELOS, so curious what your take on my predicament is. Want to pull the trigger on the tank ASAP as I know it's going to take forever to arrive.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which connectors did you buy to attach the system to the ceiling. Do you by any chance have a link?

I use this. I don't recommend it. It was a quick thought and didn't think I need to raise and lower the fixture as much so I thought it was a quick and easy work. At the time, I just want to get it up.
But you can imagine trying to lower and raise the canopy with this.

What I recommend is something that will attach to the canopy. Something like this where you drill a hole in the acrylic and lock in the gripper with the correct size nut.
There catalouge is here. You'll find something that will work.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating between going big and deep (84x48x28) or just getting an ELOS 200xl. Since you have experience with both, which would you recommend? My fiancé and I just moved into a new condo which seems huge now since we just left NYC for Florida, but we will likely move to a house once we have kids reach elementary age. The only downside to going giant is knowing this won't be our forever home. I'm thinking at least 5-10 years here. ELOS systems are BEAUTIFUL, but I'm not sure 31.5" depth is enough, nor 23" height. Never had an ELOS, so curious what your take on my predicament is. Want to pull the trigger on the tank ASAP as I know it's going to take forever to arrive.
If you're for sure know it's not your long term home, I wouldn't get the big tank. There's a lot involved setting it and even more involved when breaking it down. The biggest issue is moving the large aquarium and trying to find someone to buy the used aquarium that size. You almost have to give it for free to get it out. I can't say for your situation, but when I bought and sold the house, I had about 2 weeks overlapping between moving into the new house and getting everything out of the old house. 2 weeks! And if you have any young children, it's a suicide mission.
The AIO tank like Elos is nice. You can't go wrong with it. However, having a remote sump room behind the tank makes it more feasible for maintenance and ultimately be more successful. I find it very limited to reef with a sump and equipment confined under the stand. First, it's the aesthetic you want to keep. Second is the noise. And third, it's your back. Even being able to bring in lines like ATO and CaRx from another room is a big help. I had Elos and the custom sump under the stand but my ATO container and CaRx are in the basement. The CaRx set up is prettty loud. After having a 48" front to back tank, it's a little difficult for me to adjust to the 34" front to back. The 48" is just so much more for aquascape and that overall look and feel. I really miss it.
There's a big difference between 5 years and 10 years lol. If you're fairly new to the hobby, get the AIO. Take notes and learn from it. Keep what works and put what doesn't work for reference. If you already had a couple tanks and you're staying put for 10 years, go for it. I must praise you for knowing your future. I have no idea what's in store for me or if I'm gonna stay where I am for the next 3 years. But the reef must go on at full throttle.

Last edited:

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, great response man, thank you! I appreciate that you're so timely and coherent in your replies. It makes your build threads invaluable resources. Just want to say I appreciate it. My goal is to build a tank like your last one.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this. I don't recommend it. It was a quick thought and didn't think I need to raise and lower the fixture as much so I thought it was a quick and easy work. At the time, I just want to get it up.

What I recommend is something that will attach to the canopy. Something like this where you drill a hole in the acrylic and lock in the gripper with the correct size nut.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 weeks in. Can't complain.
_Z7D7580.jpg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, big difference when you use your dSLR. White balance, contrast, color, sharpness, lack of distortion, all better! Your tank looked great before, but these photos are next level :).

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the tip on the cable grippers. I’m looking for something that is to rarise my two ATI SunPower 48” fixtures when I’m doing maintenance and gluing corals. Does your https://griplocksystems.com/product/15-14ip-kft-s-t2 do that for your fixture? And do you happen to have a close-up picutre that shows how you installed? Many thanks.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're for sure know it's not your long term home, I wouldn't get the big tank. There's a lot involved setting it and even more involved when breaking it down. The biggest issue is moving the large aquarium and trying to find someone to buy the used aquarium that size. You almost have to give it for free to get it out. I can't say for your situation, but when I bought and sold the house, I had about 2 weeks overlapping between moving into the new house and getting everything out of the old house. 2 weeks! And if you have any young children, it's a suicide mission.
The AIO tank like Elos is nice. You can't go wrong with it. However, having a remote sump room behind the tank makes it more feasible for maintenance and ultimately be more successful. I find it very limited to reef with a sump and equipment confined under the stand. First, it's the aesthetic you want to keep. Second is the noise. And third, it's your back. Even being able to bring in lines like ATO and CaRx from another room is a big help. I had Elos and the custom sump under the stand but my ATO container and CaRx are in the basement. The CaRx set up is prettty loud. After having a 48" front to back tank, it's a little difficult for me to adjust to the 34" front to back. The 48" is just so much more for aquascape and that overall look and feel. I really miss it.
There's a big difference between 5 years and 10 years lol. If you're fairly new to the hobby, get the AIO. Take notes and learn from it. Keep what works and put what doesn't work for reference. If you already had a couple tanks and you're staying put for 10 years, go for it. I must praise you for knowing your future. I have no idea what's in store for me or if I'm gonna stay where I am for the next 3 years. But the reef must go on at full throttle.
What a great philisophy you have.....”the reef must go on at full throttle”.
We are all so addicted to this hobby. BTW...I .just read your entire thread. Great job documenting your journey as it really helps us that are starting our large tank builds.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip on the cable grippers. I’m looking for something that is to rarise my two ATI SunPower 48” fixtures when I’m doing maintenance and gluing corals. Does your https://griplocksystems.com/product/15-14ip-kft-s-t2 do that for your fixture? And do you happen to have a close-up picutre that shows how you installed? Many thanks.

Your best bet is this.
Why not use the manufacturer's hanging kit? Everything will fit perfectly without you having to take out the drill.
The griplocksystems is only when you have a custom fixture and there's no predrilled holes. The ordering process at griplocksystems is also very slow and a $100 minimum order. Each gripper is about $5 dollars. You'll end up with excessive stuff you don't need and it might not even fit if you make a mistake somewhere .

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is this.
Why not use the manufacturer's hanging kit? Everything will fit perfectly without you having to take out the drill.
The griplocksystems is only when you have a custom fixture and there's no predrilled holes. The ordering process at griplocksystems is also very slow and a $100 minimum order. Each gripper is about $5 dollars. You'll end up with excessive stuff you don't need and it might not even fit if you make a mistake somewhere .
Got it....i understand better now. Appreciate you taking the time to explain to me.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is on auto pilot for quite some time now. CWC continues to work out well. All safeties are in placed. More on this later.
I did lose a couple of Euphyllias. One torch colony, one wall hammer colony, and one octospawn colony. Parameters are rock solid and I wouldn't know what to change at this point. I always have issue with these Euphyllias. However, this is an SPS tank. The LPS are secondary.
I am excited for the transition of one of my Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse. This one has been getting large quickly and color darken up. I tried to capture a picture of it when it's flashing but after 30mins in front of the tank with the camera pointing, it didn't flash. I enjoy watching the process of a transitioning fish. Whether if it's a Juvenile tang or angelfish or female wrasse to male, it's a very rewarding process.

The female.
Z7D7998.jpg

Transitioning Male
Z7D8031.jpg

_Z7D8020.jpg

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is on auto pilot for quite some time now. CWC continues to work out well. All safeties are in placed. More on this later.
I did lose a couple of Euphyllias. One torch colony, one wall hammer colony, and one octospawn colony. Parameters are rock solid and I wouldn't know what to change at this point. I always have issue with these Euphyllias. However, this is an SPS tank. The LPS are secondary.
I am excited for the transition of one of my Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse. This one has been getting large quickly and color darken up. I tried to capture a picture of it when it's flashing but after 30mins in front of the tank with the camera pointing, it didn't flash. I enjoy watching the process of a transitioning fish. Whether if it's a Juvenile tang or angelfish or female wrasse to male, it's a very rewarding process.

The female.
Z7D7998.jpg

Transitioning Male
Z7D8031.jpg

_Z7D8020.jpg
Stunning pictures - Wrasses are my favorites so these pictures are so enjoyable to look at!

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video of the DT flasher doing its thing. I gotta say, I really hope it’s a DT. The transitioning stage looks nothing like a male DT flasher. Since a lot of the female flasher wrasses are look alike, I hope I didn’t pay a premium for something else.
It looked like the female picture above when it was a female. Which I’m pretty sure it’s a DT flasher. This will be interesting.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope this is the Diamond Tail Flasher wrasse in transition. Lol
I better ask the wrasse expert community.

F5998B28-111C-4493-BDBF-F793AB75F61B.jpeg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back