OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what I was thinking when debating on whether to create a PVC structure. I am happy with my structure from West Mariculture. I love the look of it, and it will make the corals pop. I messaged Paul at West Mariculture, and gave the dimensions of 5"x4"x3", which would allow for structures to fit on either side of the overflow. He said that he will get me some photos this weekend. I'm excited to have matching dens for my wrasses that will also match the main structure.

I've had nothing but good service from West Mariculture, and I can't wait to see what Paul comes up with!

Cmooreinor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am waiting for. My 100.3. Your build has given me some ideas! Looking forward to seeing how it comes all together. Hopefully we both get a shipment notice in the next week!

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am waiting for. My 100.3. Your build has given me some ideas! Looking forward to seeing how it comes all together. Hopefully we both get a shipment notice in the next week!

I hope you get yours soon. I’ve seen that suppliers in Australia are getting their stock in, so hopefully those of us that have been waiting for months are next up.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish have been banned to the dark holding tub because they have been stressing out my wrasses by beating on them for the last couple of days. My Tricolor Fairy Wrasse has been hiding, and I lost my McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse. I think I will be re-homing the clownfish because I don’t want them to do the same to other fish that I plan to add. I want a peaceful tank, and they are preventing that.

I have never had a pair of clowns act the way that they have been acting. They have been chasing and nipping at the wrasses, and they keep attempting to take over the areas of the tank that the wrasses have claimed. I may replace the clownfish pair with a single Firefish.

3db2367c30bf402c807491e066d6d15b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up picking up an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse today from the same shop that I got my clownfish pair and Tricolor Fairy Wrasse from. After temperature- and salinity-acclimating it, I kept a close eye on the two wrasses to ensure there wasn’t endangerment to either of them. There was some chasing and nipping, but I expected that.

To be sure that they would have sufficient time to size each other up without the opportunity to fight, I purchased a pet container and put the newly-added Exquisite Fairy Wrasse and a couple of PVC fittings inside. They seem to be easing off of one another, but I’ll keep an eye on them over the next few days to ensure compatibility.

Also, I set up my home camera so that I can watch them while I am at work and at night.

I’m still deciding about what to do with my clownfish pair. I really enjoy watching them swim, but I don’t want them to beat on and kill another fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just learned that I do not have a Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse, but rather an Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis).

I’m so glad that this community is filled with smart, helpful hobbyists.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a short video that was quickly edited with some music. I’m slowly learning how to shoot and edit video because I want to get better at documenting and sharing my experiences. I've been inspired after watching the Reef Builders videos that Jake Adams produces. I love the music that he uses, and he is a talented editor. I’m always anticipating new videos on the Reef Builders channel.

This was shot and edited on an old, spare, iPhone 6 Plus. I’ll surely be saving for a more appropriate setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I should have my Waterbox 100.3 within the next few business days, and I’m extremely excited about that. It’s felt like it’s been over three months since I placed the order for it. Wait... it has been! :rolleyes:

I met a friend at the Central Ohio Reef Aquarists frag swap today, and I had a blast living vicariously through him as he picked up some nice pieces. I can’t wait to see how they grow in his tank because I’ll be snagging a few frags in the future! I’ve started my coral-stocking list, and he grabbed a few that are on it.

I placed an order for an EcoTech Marine Radion XR15w G4 Pro today. That will go in the middle of my two G3s, which should look great above my 3’ tank! I plan on getting diffusers for them so that the light is better diffused, and I’ll be placing another order soon for the track and slides; I have two RMS arms for the Radions that I already have.

Now, I just need to save for a screen top. Putting the stand together and performing my first plumbing installation (first sumped system) will buy me some time.

I guess I know what I’ll spend all of my BRS gift cards on; that is what I answered with whenever someone in my family asked me what I want for Christmas. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for the slides and the track for my Radions. I'm excited to get them on the tank! Now, the only pieces of equipment remaining that I want to order in the near future are the diffusers for the Radions and a screen top. I should probably get on the screen top sooner than later since I see that most orders take a few weeks. I am extremely happy with my equipment list, and I can't wait to get everything plumbed in and set up!

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for the slides and the track for my Radions. I'm excited to get them on the tank! Now, the only pieces of equipment remaining that I want to order in the near future are the diffusers for the Radions and a screen top. I should probably get on the screen top sooner than later since I see that most orders take a few weeks. I am extremely happy with my equipment list, and I can't wait to get everything plumbed in and set up!

If you’re feeling DIYish, I got the screen top kit from BRS. It was really easy to put together and you can’t beat the price

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re feeling DIYish, I got the screen top kit from BRS. It was really easy to put together and you can’t beat the price
I would like to save some money for a while, so that sounds like a nice option. I’m sure my wife would be much happier as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back