Nick's Waterbox 100.3

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the start of my Waterbox 100.3 build that should be here by the end of the month. It feels like the order that I placed for the system on September 9, 2018 has been on backorder for much longer than it has. I've been trying to learn patience since this hobby demands it, and I guess there is no better place to start than having to wait more than two months for the tank. In the meantime, I have been slowly acquiring equipment and getting my thoughts and plans together.

Onto the details!

Aquarium/Stand/Sump
Waterbox Aquariums Reef 100.3

Return Pump
Neptune Systems COR-15 Intelligent Return Pump

Display Water Movement
(2) EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD

Lighting

(2) EcoTech Marine Radion XR15W G3 Pro

Substrate

Bare-bottom

Skimmer

Reef Octopus eSsence 130

Controller

Neptune Systems Apex

Automatic Top-off

Neptune Systems ATK

Heating

(2) 200-watt EHEIM JÄGER

Filtration

MarinePure (8"x8"x1" plate & 8"x8"x4" plate)

As for my aquascape, I decided to go with a bonsai structure from West Mariculture due to its unique form, ability to allow for high flow, and plenty of room for corals. The main selling point for me is that the shelves are removable. This means that maintenance will be easier, future moves will be easier, and they can be replaced. I know that a lot of people think that they look unnatural, but I think that the structure will allow for the corals to be the points of focus by getting out of the way and providing a nice, supportive, minimal foundation.

Below are the pictures of the structure that I ordered, and they were taken from the West Mariculture product page.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I plan to hard-plumb the system so that I can add a manifold for future equipment, such as an algae reactor, UV sterilizer, and possibly another type of reactor since this hobby has been exploding with new products within the last few years.

I would like to have an SPS-only system because I don't want to try to satisfy the needs of other types of corals, such as LPS and soft corals. I want to keep the bottom of the tank clear of detritus, and having a high-flow, bare-bottom system seems like a good starting point for SPS colonies. Also, I don't want to pack the tank full of frags; I want to be intentional when I place corals in the tank and have their growth patterns dictate their placements. I feel that too many tanks look like frag tanks and many hobbyists don't give their corals time to grow out and fill in.

I hope that you enjoyed the first post of my upcoming build. I can't wait to share its progress, read your opinions and suggestions, and share this amazing hobby with you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great build getting ready to happen. The stucture looks tough, I really like it!

Thank you for the compliment! I’m excited to get the structure and see how I can utilize its potential.

Following along :)

Thanks for coming along to my new build! It was good having you around on my previous one!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice!
yeah I hear ya I was thinking about the WB 230.6 was gonna buy one on the Blue Friday sale but keep getting mixed reviews if it was really in stock or not. finally got word that they are out 4-6 weeks witch mean more like 6-8.
so I just bought the red sea 750 XXL i liked the WB a bit more tho with there 4 door cabinet and build in manifold.

fallowing! been thinking of a bonsai rock like that for my new tank..either DIY or from them.
wish you had your tank so we could see how it looks in it. ( I bet you do to )

keep us posted looks like a great build!

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice!
yeah I hear ya I was thinking about the WB 230.6 was gonna buy one on the Blue Friday sale but keep getting mixed reviews if it was really in stock or not. finally got word that they are out 4-6 weeks witch mean more like 6-8.
so I just bought the red sea 750 XXL i liked the WB a bit more tho with there 4 door cabinet and build in manifold.

fallowing! been thinking of a bonsai rock like that for my new tank..either DIY or from them.
wish you had your tank so we could see how it looks in it. ( I bet you do to )

keep us posted looks like a great build!

Thanks for the compliment!

If this hobby has taught me one thing, then it is patience. I’m more than ready for my tank to arrive. I’ve seen some horror stories about them arriving scratched, scuffed, or broken. I’m hoping that mine doesn’t have any issues because I don’t want to wait even longer.

I went with the Waterbox for two main reasons:
  1. The all-glass overflow will allow me to scrape the coralline off more easily than acrylic.
  2. They use standard filter socks, whereas Red Sea uses proprietary ones.
I ordered the structure today, so I should have it soon since I’m only two hours away from West Mariculture. I have a cutout of my tank’s dimensions, so I’ll post some photos of it with the structure so that you can see how it looks.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the start of my Waterbox 100.3 build that should be here by the end of the month. It feels like the order that I placed for the system on September 9, 2018 has been on backorder for much longer than it has. I've been trying to learn patience since this hobby demands it, and I guess there is no better place to start than having to wait more than two months for the tank. In the meantime, I have been slowly acquiring equipment and getting my thoughts and plans together.

Onto the details!

Aquarium/Stand/Sump
Waterbox Aquariums Reef 100.3

Return Pump
Neptune Systems COR-15 Intelligent Return Pump

Display Water Movement
(2) EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD

Lighting

(2) EcoTech Marine Radion XR15W G3 Pro

Substrate

Bare-bottom

Skimmer

Reef Octopus eSsence 130

Controller

Neptune Systems Apex

Automatic Top-off

Neptune Systems ATK

Heating

(2) 200-watt EHEIM JÄGER

Filtration

MarinePure (8"x8"x1" plate & 8"x8"x4" plate)

As for my aquascape, I decided to go with a bonsai structure from West Mariculture due to its unique form, ability to allow for high flow, and plenty of room for corals. The main selling point for me is that the shelves are removable. This means that maintenance will be easier, future moves will be easier, and they can be replaced. I know that a lot of people think that they look unnatural, but I think that the structure will allow for the corals to be the points of focus by getting out of the way and providing a nice, supportive, minimal foundation.

Below are the pictures of the structure that I ordered, and they were taken from the West Mariculture product page.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I plan to hard-plumb the system so that I can add a manifold for future equipment, such as an algae reactor, UV sterilizer, and possibly another type of reactor since this hobby has been exploding with new products within the last few years.

I would like to have an SPS-only system because I don't want to try to satisfy the needs of other types of corals, such as LPS and soft corals. I want to keep the bottom of the tank clear of detritus, and having a high-flow, bare-bottom system seems like a good starting point for SPS colonies. Also, I don't want to pack the tank full of frags; I want to be intentional when I place corals in the tank and have their growth patterns dictate their placements. I feel that too many tanks look like frag tanks and many hobbyists don't give their corals time to grow out and fill in.

I hope that you enjoyed the first post of my upcoming build. I can't wait to share its progress, read your opinions and suggestions, and share this amazing hobby with you.

Sounds like a great start Nick!

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great start Nick!

Thanks for jumping over to this thread from the other one! I'm glad to have you following along!

That’s a cool looking structure Nick. I can’t wait to see how you fill it out. I was thinking of doing something similar, but DIY and made out of rubble rock. Ended up going a different way though. Following along.

I'm excited to see how it fills in. You can order the structures with or without frag holes. I think this one has ~72 frag holes, but I won't be adding that many corals to the tank; it's nice to have designated options for placement. I had thought about making a PVC structure and then gluing a lot of rock rubble around it, but I ultimately decided on the structure that I did because of the ease of maintenance and ability to move the structure when I move into a house within the next couple of years.

That’s a very unusual aquascape design and I think it will look fabulous when in the tank with corals and fish.

And great write up as well Nick

Thank you! I appreciate the compliments! I am still deciding on what fish, other than my two clownfish, that I want to add. I thought about a trio of ORA Lemon Damselfish since they are much less territorial. I will have to see how much cover the structure offers because I want the fish to have an adequate number of hiding spots.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 10g tank that my two clownfish are in until I have my Waterbox set up. They are in there with an 8"x8"x1" MarinePure plate. I haven't been able to see any life in that tank, other than small feather dusters, and a couple of snails and crabs. I'd like to get a larger biodiversity established during this lights-off period, and I thought about ordering some copepods to kick that off.

What are your thoughts on ordering copepods? Should I wait for the Waterbox to be set up, or is it beneficial to add them now?

I don't want to add a piece of rock from any LFS' because they are either huge rocks, covered in bubble algae and/or Aiptasia and other nuisance algae, or the owners are egotistical and arrogant. I'd rather order the copepods online and know what I am adding to my system.

I'd love your thoughts about this.

Thanks!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking this trip with me!
I can't wait to see the aquascape on the tank. Not a common setup but I like it. You can place different corals on the level they will thrive and grow cuz they all will get good light.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I know why you were so interested in the interior dimensions LOL! I can't wait to see this in your tank ;Snaphappy

Haha! Yeah, I ended up getting some hardboard from The Home Depot and cutting it to match the dimensions that were shared in your build thread. I marked it incorrectly when measuring, so the overflow is an inch too long in one direction. It served its purpose, though!

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water box was a great choice. I have the 75.2 and now wish I had gone bigger. I basically have the same equipment except I use the WAVs. You will have to let me know how you like the vortex. I have the WAVs turned all of the way down as their lowest setting is still pretty strong.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back