Niger Triggerfish Compatibility

ÁngelHernández

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! I've got a 100 Gal FOWLR tank with 2 Niger Triggerfish, they're 3.5". i got them a month ago.

I'm planing to get a new 180 Gal or more in about a year for them. I know the can get 1' or more commonly 8" -10". A friend of mine had some triggers many years.

But, for now, i would love to add more fish...

My first plan would be to add:

- Scopas Tang
- Coral Beauty (I even consider another trigger if the Coral Beauty is too small but maybe is too much for now, and the Coral Beauty is reaally pretty).

and then...

I don't know if:

a Zebra Dwarf Lionfish or a Maroon Clownfish (I know the maroon can be really mean so that would be last), could i get both?

Are all of them a good match? for 1 year in that 100 gal , would that 5 or 6 fish be overstocked?

Another suggestion of better partners?

Thanks!!!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel it would be a tight fit for a 100.

I had one at one point, honestly can't remember what happened to it. I'm guessing I gave it away due to compatibility issues.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Niger was over 6 years old. Fat and healthy but probably no more than 6 or 7 inches. He got along with everyone even a blue throat and picaso trigger. After the 6 year mark he turned rogue and started taking chucks out of my LPS colonies so he had to go. Too bad, it was a beautiful fish.

OP
OP
Á

ÁngelHernández

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, they don't get too big , but some might get meaner...

Ok, so...

Should i worry about the maroon?? The Coral Beauty being too small?... maybe not worry that much?... Should i try in that order? (First scopas and coral beauty, then maroon and/or zebra lion?)

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Niger for a long time years ago. I also had a Scopus tang in with him as well. He got along with everyone and ate anything and everything.
But I added him last, which in my experience works better with triggers.
They are my favorite fish.
They are also very mischievous. You never know when they will take a bite out of something whether it be a fish, your finger or a power cord.
Right now I have a picasso in with a coral beauty. The coral beauty was in there for 4 years before I added the picasso.
They get along fine but I feed the trigger like my teenagers.
Don't know if that helps.
Joel

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back