Nitrate Increase - Filter Foam Media PLUS Filter Socks

Smiler1875

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Maybe a stupid question but I have tank 4 months Old 55g, Nitrates were zero for a while, and as I added a few more fish/corals have been stable at atound 5ppm, I use 3 filter socks in the sump and talking to LFS a month ago, about small noise with water flowing into the socks, they advised to just use a layer of filter foam pad across the socks and this would add additional filter and "quieten the water flow", which it did, But my nitrates last few weeks have increased to between 10-15ppm (which I don't think is too much to worry about is it ?) , but just wondering, if adding the filter foam has increased the potential for Nitrate increase or is it just natural evolution of the tank. Thanks In Advance for any responses, all other parameters are stable, fish are 2 clowns, 3 Chromis, 1 pyramid butterly, 1 Firefish and CUC

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
if you do not change it frequently, it is very likely that it will produce nitrate as well.
How often are you changing it (socks and foam)? Seems that 3 to 4 days is safe range.

On the other hand, your tank is quite new... which can be indeed the natural evolution till it stabilises.

Cheers

OP
OP
Smiler1875

Smiler1875

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
if you do not change it frequently, it is very likely that it will produce nitrate as well.
How often are you changing it (socks and foam)? Seems that 3 to 4 days is safe range.

On the other hand, your tank is quite new... which can be indeed the natural evolution till it stabilises.

Cheers
Hi , Thanks, I cycle my socks about once a fortnight as have 3 running at the same time, but understand may be contributing

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if you have already seen it... but BRStv made two nice quick videos discussing (test test included) the best way to use it and changing frequency.
Still, your tank is still rather young...
Cheers!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back