OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only read the couple first pages, but I think the problem could be that you are way underpowered in the lighting. Lights are necessary to a balanced ecosystem, and if you are at 160ppm nitrates but have zero algae on your rocks, glass or sand, then lighting is the first thing I would look at. Algae isn't a bad thing, even if it's undesirable, but I can't imagine what else would be limiting in the face of high nutrients.
It ended up being 2 issues.

1- Fish deaths were due to Uronema (I mis-diagnosed first Chromis death)
2- Lights were underpowered

So yes, you are correct lol.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema :(

Probably the only time I had hoped for Ich lol!

Uronema really sucks. (I had it wipe out about a $800 fish shipment in QT, fortunately it never made it to the display) It’s good that inspite of your struggles that starting over from where you are at now isn’t a completely soul crushing experience! Congratulations you’ve graduated the hard knock school of reef keeping, the next go is going to be a success! We learn more from our mistakes and it puts the ego where it belongs, the back seat! If you need any advice on the reboot, or just someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to PM me. :)

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema really sucks. (I had it wipe out about a $800 fish shipment in QT, fortunately it never made it to the display) It’s good that inspite of your struggles that starting over from where you are at now isn’t a completely soul crushing experience! Congratulations you’ve graduated the hard knock school of reef keeping, the next go is going to be a success! We learn more from our mistakes and it puts the ego where it belongs, the back seat! If you need any advice on the reboot, or just someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to PM me. :)
I appreciate it! It was pretty soul crushing, but I learned so much when it came to procedures, what gear I do and don't need, etc.

I am really looking forward to the chance to do it over again and try out new livestock and equipment.

As a new reefer, I am certainly no expert, but I hope I can use my experience to help others down the line.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On take two you should follow Lasse’s method to starting a new tank. I think it’s the best way to start a reef from all of the methods I have read in the last 30 years, particularly the part about adding NO3 to skip the “ugly” phase most of us suffer through. (Which you’ve already avoid via your original methodology, but this way grows corals). If I was going to start a new tank this is what I would do. :). https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it! It was pretty soul crushing, but I learned so much when it came to procedures, what gear I do and don't need, etc.

I am really looking forward to the chance to do it over again and try out new livestock and equipment.

As a new reefer, I am certainly no expert, but I hope I can use my experience to help others down the line.

That helping others part is exactly what this community is all about!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On take two you should follow Lasse’s method to starting a new tank. I think it’s the best way to start a reef from all of the methods I have read in the last 30 years, particularly the part about adding NO3 to skip the “ugly” phase most of us suffer through. (Which you’ve already avoid via your original methodology, but this way grows corals). If I was going to start a new tank this is what I would do. :). https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/
I have carefully read his post several times, and there are so many things that are practically the opposite of the conventional method on the surface, but do in fact accomplish the same thing. I am very interested and will be trying this.

I like how he doesn't purposefully dose ammonia via a decaying shrimp or actual ammonia to avoid stalling the nitrogen cycle. I was actually going to dose ammonia to 2ppm so I could have full control over the import and be able to monitor the export. However, with Lasse's knowledge I am going to trust him here!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back