Nitrates in Predatory Tank

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algae scrubber , if u want the health of the fish to improve as welll..micro algae consumes nitrate faster than macro....another idea: plumb in a remote tank with a plenum and 5" carib sea FCC on top...nitrates will be consumed.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-The skimmer hasnt been taking out more crap and doesn't even fill up in 2 days
-I feed frozen prawns and i feed them every day or every second day depending on when they are hungry
-It is not growing at all
-The max reading the test can give is 120 ppm but the colour looks darker than the result given so it is likely more than 120 ppm. I live in outback australia and there are no stores to test my water at. I have ordered everything including my fish online.
-There are some little bits of prawn left over but no large chunks
-The tank is around 8 months old and there is a bit of algae but nothing extreme. I am going to be buying a better test kit online as MaxTremors suggested. Could the test kit be giving me false results?
Attatched below is an image of th algae

IMG_0829.jpg

If thats a current picture of the tank, I rhink you may be getting a testing error. With such high nitrtates there's no way that tank would be so clean.

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If thats a current picture of the tank, I rhink you may be getting a testing error. With such high nitrtates there's no way that tank would be so clean.
Fingers crossed thats the case. Will be finding out soon.

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algae scrubber , if u want the health of the fish to improve as welll..micro algae consumes nitrate faster than macro....another idea: plumb in a remote tank with a plenum and 5" carib sea FCC on top...nitrates will be consumed.
The only algae i have access to is chaeto sadly

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s entirely possible if it’s phosphate limited. I’m not saying there isn’t a testing error, but it’s possible to have high nitrates and not see a lot of algae growth.

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s entirely possible if it’s phosphate limited. I’m not saying there isn’t a testing error, but it’s possible to have high nitrates and not see a lot of algae growth.
Yep I am buying a phosphate test kit and phosphate up just in case. How much phosphates is not enough, how much is too much and what’s a good amount?

OP
OP
Lil Puff

Lil Puff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
It was the API test kit. I got a new Aqua Forest Pro Nitrate Test Kit and the nitrates read 4ppm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back