Nitrite Spike in QT

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 20G QT setup for approximately 10 days now which I seeded with a sponge left in my DT's sump, Bio-Spira, and filled initially with water from DT. I've got 2 clowns and a Kole tang in their currently and I've noticed the past few days that Nitrites have been going up while everything else is remaining flat. Here's current numbers from today:
  • Specific Gravity - 1.026
  • Ammonia - between 0 and 0.1 ppm (SeaChem Ammonia Alert bade is in "safe" level)
  • Nitrite - 1.0 ppm
  • Nitrate - 0 ppm
  • pH - 7.8
  • Temperature - 78
The fish are all eating well and acting normally and we've been performing regular matienence on the tank including vacuuming up uneaten food/waste and water changes (5G at a time or 20% volume). From what's I've read, usually Nitrite spikes with Ammonia but that's not been the case, so I'm wondering if there is something I'm not seeing that could be causing the increase? Also, is there something I should be doing to bring this back down to 0?

Thanks!

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in case it's relevant, I'm using the following for testing -

• Salinity - Milwaukee Digital Refractometer
  • Ammonia - API and SeaChem Ammonia Alert badge
  • Trites, Trates, and pH - API

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are the seeded sponge and Bio-Spira have established enough of a bacterial population that they are using the ammonia as fast as it is being produced.

And 1.0 ppm of Nitrites won't hurt the fish.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran the tests again tonight and the nitrites have spiked even further (see attached). Both my wife and I believe it's closest to 2 ppm but not sure, these colors all look the same! Ammonia is still reading between 0 - 0.25 on the API kit with the SeaChem Alert badge still clearly in the "Safe" zone. Thoughts? o_O

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is not a concern. It probably is just not fully cycled, but unlike a freshwater tank, nitrite is not toxic in marine systems until super high. I generally recommend that folks don't even bother measuring it unless you just like chemistry. :)

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is not a concern. It probably is just not fully cycled, but unlike a freshwater tank, nitrite is not toxic in marine systems until super high. I generally recommend that folks don't even bother measuring it unless you just like chemistry. :)

I re-tested everything again and the nitrites are still around 2 ppm and nitrates have gone up to closer to 5 ppm. I've also noticed the water is starting to get a little "cloudy" depiste vacuuming up the feeding remnants/waste each day with an Eheim Vac. Are these two issues related or is there something I should be doing to "clear up" the water? Note, I started the first dose of Copper yesterday so don't want to put Carbon on the tank.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, current tests show:

• Nitrate: 5 ppm
  • Nitrite: 2 ppm
  • Ammonia: between 0 and 0.1 ppm (SeaChem Ammonia Alert badge is within "safe" level)
  • Ph: 7.8
  • Salinity: 1.027

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudiness is likely a bacterial bloom. There's no need to be particularly concerned about it in a qt tank, as long as it is well aerated.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudiness is likely a bacterial bloom. There's no need to be particularly concerned about it in a qt tank, as long as it is well aerated.

I've got a HOB filter and a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 powerhead which I have pointed at the top to break the surface water. Is this sufficient or should I also put in a bubbler?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a HOB filter and a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 powerhead which I have pointed at the top to break the surface water. Is this sufficient or should I also put in a bubbler?

That's likely sufficient. :)

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also having the same issue trying to cycle my QT tank. Have gotten feedback from a couple other people saying nitrite is okay as well so my QT is essentially cycled enough to start using. My question is at what point is nitrite not okay for marine fish? Are we talking extremely high like impossible to acheive in a QT tank so I don't need to care? Or is there some point that I should be worried? I just want to make sure I'm not putting my new fish at risk before I start. :) I started with 1.5 PPM ammonia which got converted to about 5 PPM nitrite but then never really converted to nitrate. My nitrate might be reading 10-20 PPM now as of my test today.
My thread details to this issue: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quarantine-tank-cycling-problems.898802/

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Dr. Tim, a spike in nitrite could be indicative of a breakdown in your nitrification process. You can find that information at the very end of this video. You should probably watch the whole thing so you get your information from a reliable source, and not a message board.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Dr. Tim, a spike in nitrite could be indicative of a breakdown in your nitrification process. You can find that information at the very end of this video. You should probably watch the whole thing so you get your information from a reliable source, and not a message board.

lol

Seriously? This "message board" is not reliable?

I would contend that this Reef Chemistry forum is far and away the most accurate source of chemical information on reef aquaria. Nothing against Tim, who is also an expert, but nothing we said here either disagrees with him or is incorrect.

You are welcome to your opinion, but to pop onto this forum to disparage the comments in this thread is ridiculous.

What do YOU think is wrong with the advice given here?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's explore your comments:

"According to Dr. Tim, a spike in nitrite could be indicative of a breakdown in your nitrification process."

Obviously that is true, if the nitrite is accumulating.

I said it 6 years ago in this thread:

"Nitrite is not a concern. It probably is just not fully cycled, but unlike a freshwater tank, nitrite is not toxic in marine systems until super high. I generally recommend that folks don't even bother measuring it unless you just like chemistry."

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also having the same issue trying to cycle my QT tank. Have gotten feedback from a couple other people saying nitrite is okay as well so my QT is essentially cycled enough to start using. My question is at what point is nitrite not okay for marine fish? Are we talking extremely high like impossible to acheive in a QT tank so I don't need to care? Or is there some point that I should be worried? I just want to make sure I'm not putting my new fish at risk before I start. :) I started with 1.5 PPM ammonia which got converted to about 5 PPM nitrite but then never really converted to nitrate. My nitrate might be reading 10-20 PPM now as of my test today.
My thread details to this issue: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quarantine-tank-cycling-problems.898802/

In a not fully cycled system, nitrite might possible get high enough to be an issue and I wouldn't put in fish at 10+ ppm nitrite. The lowest tox level I've seen reported for rapid toxicity of nitrite to fish >100 ppm. The 10 ppm gives a protective buffer.

Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

Seriously? This "message board" is not reliable?

I would contend that this Reef Chemistry forum is far and away the most accurate source of chemical information on reef aquaria. Nothing against Tim, who is also an expert, but nothing we said here either disagrees with him or is incorrect.

You are welcome to your opinion, but to pop onto this forum to disparage the comments in this thread is ridiculous.

What do YOU think is wrong with the advice given here?
Well for one, one of this boards “experts“ told a young lady who was new to reefing to put an air stone into her bag water to acclimate a new fish. This is clearly an almost sure way to kill any fish that has been transported to you overnight. Her fish was dead the next day. This just happened in the last few days. Not to mention how many times I’ve argued with people that keeping your sandbed clean, if you have a sandbed, is an essential part of having a long sustainable reef tank. It became so ridiculous that I no longer bother telling anyone to clean their sand bed. Many people on this board believe that detritus is inert, and it cannot hurt your corals My experience in 40+ years of salt water fish tanks says differently. I’m not looking to start an argument with you. If you disagree with me, that’s fine. But please don’t try to tell me that all the information offered on this board is helpful. It isn’t.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for one, one of this boards “experts“ told a young lady who was new to reefing to put an air stone into her bag water to acclimate a new fish. This is clearly an almost sure way to kill any fish that has been transported to you overnight. Her fish was dead the next day. This just happened in the last few days. Not to mention how many times I’ve argued with people that keeping your sandbed clean, if you have a sandbed, is an essential part of having a long sustainable reef tank. It became so ridiculous that I no longer bother telling anyone to clean their sand bed. Many people on this board believe that detritus is inert, and it cannot hurt your corals My experience in 40+ years of salt water fish tanks says differently. I’m not looking to start an argument with you. If you disagree with me, that’s fine. But please don’t try to tell me that all the information offered on this board is helpful. It isn’t.

I'm only speaking of the Reef Chemistry forum, in which you now find yourself, and which you just criticized.

Perhaps take a look around before dissing it and the members, and the advice given here.

Of course you should correct bad advice as you see fit. That's the whole reason I have moderated reef chemistry forums for decades. To root out bad info.

So it would be great for you to join the group and root out bad advice, wherever you see it. It just wasn't in this thread and probably not in the Reef Chemistry forum. . :)

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only speaking of the Reef Chemistry forum, in which you now find yourself, and which you just criticized.

Perhaps take a look around before dissing it and the members, and the advice given here.

Of course you should correct bad advice as you see fit. That's the whole reason I have moderated reef chemistry forums for decades. To root out bad info.

So it would be great for you to join the group and root out bad advice, wherever you see it. It just wasn't in this thread and probably not in the Reef Chemistry forum. .
:)
I was talking about the entire board, not your little domain. And I stand by my comment. A lot of the information offered up by supposed “experts” on this board is not only unhelpful, some of it is quite destructive. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Back