samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I’m currently at the end of the cycle for my tank. Ammonia is trace and nitrites have risen and are now nearing 0. Nitrates were at 25 ppm so I’ve done a 25/30% water change today to lower it somewhat.

from advice on here I have added my first fish today and all appears to be healthy.

I have been using red seas reef mature kit and it comes with all the stuff you need. I have about half a bottle of nitrobac left and me not wanting to waste anything was wondering if I could just dump the rest in the tank anyway ? It’s only bacteria in the bottle and I suppose more wouldn’t hurt, right ? Even if it’s not going to improve the tanks bio filtration I just don’t want to dump the bottle in the bin without using what I paid for.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont use it, no need for it, it wont change your measure levels. throw it out, its oxygen consuming bac and your cycle is done because your tank has had water in it long enough to meet the dates on the bottle label.

to add it is to add nonfunctional bacteria, they dont just stack up infinitely on rock surfaces, this tank is already cycled and the rocks are full and they swirl in the water and get skimmed, sinked in the bed as floc, or water changed while competing for systemic o2. throw it out. the cycle is done, never dose bottle bac for cycling again.

thats not to be mean, its to signify how trustworthy a closed cycle is. we never need to feed, help, or worry about the cycle ever again here, that's total reef confidence. bottle bac sellers want the opposite of cycle confidence in us

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back