No Answers...

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 60g that's a few years old. The newest thing in the tank is a carpet, s.haddoni, I got about a month ago. The tank has always been stable. Only trauma was over a month ago when my central air failed and the tank reached low 80's. this past Friday I awoke to a milky white tank. All my fish were on the sandbed near death. In a panic I drained the tank and added new water. Nothing changed. Water turned white. I changed the water again. This time, overnight, I awoke to a crystal clear tank. The water tested fine at all times as always. Whatever happened obviously effected my acro as its all dying as I type this. I'm not expecting any answers.... was just soooo strange and inexplicable. So out of the blue as I'd done nothing at all for at least a week.
Friday
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369862128.180950.jpg
Today
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369862244.625527.jpg

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats wierd, normally when a anemone goes all end of days and kills itself in a powerhead or something of that fact is when Ive seen this happen and it sends toxins throughout the tank, could a rock have fallen on it or something , because when they nuke a tank they nuke the tank big time, I had one nuke a frag system with aprox 200 frags in it, lost every single one except for 4 frags

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that was exactly what I thought happened. My panic set in when I realized all my nems were fine. Something had to be wrong to cause all my fish, 8, to be near death gasping for oxygen. I'm at a total loss. There was nothing different in the tank so frustrating!

Thats wierd, normally when a anemone goes all end of days and kills itself in a powerhead or something of that fact is when Ive seen this happen and it sends toxins throughout the tank, could a rock have fallen on it or something , because when they nuke a tank they nuke the tank big time, I had one nuke a frag system with aprox 200 frags in it, lost every single one except for 4 frags

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did one of your other corals perhaps release a toxin? A chemical attack as it were......

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running carbon in case of a possible toxin release. If fish are gasping maybe a low oxygen concentration in the tank water. Just shooting in the dark with some other options!

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird. Did you spray air freshener or anything in your house close to it? Or get a Teflon pan too hot? Could it be micro bubbles?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone's ideas!
Not micrububbles. Water was defiantly white. No air freshener or anything of that nature. With my ample current and reef oct skimmer I can't imagine it's an oxygenation problem that randomly made itself known on a random night. I'm very relived all my fish survived... or anything for that matter. Anytime I've ever had a fish leaning against the glass it's never turned out well. That morning I really thought I was gonna lose my reef in which case I'd've thrown in the towel. I haven't yet ruled out terrorism.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that really sucks, but I'm glad you didn't lose your fish.

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a freshwater tank do that overnight once. I think it was a bacterial bloom. Everything gasping and the tank was completely milky white. I had a spare tank just finish it's cycle so I put everything in it and did a complete cleaning of my gravel and filter and added all new water and cycled again. I'm glad you didn't have to do something similar to yours.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals, toad stool corals, and a few others can and do release toxins to kill off other corals in their territory/area.....could it be one of those?

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd thought do you have any RBTA or splitting anemones, maybe if one split and small part that split off died

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bacterial bloom would be my guess.
I had a freshwater tank do that overnight once. I think it was a bacterial bloom. Everything gasping and the tank was completely milky white. I had a spare tank just finish it's cycle so I put everything in it and did a complete cleaning of my gravel and filter and added all new water and cycled again. I'm glad you didn't have to do something similar to yours.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh interesting. What would cause such a seemingly random bloom? This would kill acro and almost everything else? I'd've thunk I'd've had one before.... but seems learning never stops huh?

A bacterial bloom would be my guess.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have a clam?
I have seen clams spawn in a tank and it looks like the tank was filled with milk.
I mean u couldn't see more then 1 inch into the tank. That's how thick it was... Any that will lower ur oxygen
But I don't see a clam so...

My guess is bacterial bloom

Good luck and keep us posted?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you went through a mini cycle. Slight die off of your good bacteria. this can throw everything off especially SPS. How is everything now. How much of a water change did you do?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been studying this and have come to the conclusion that the best thing for you to do is run carbon. Whatever the reason behind it running carbon would be your best bet. On another note I have some very large turbo snails that will spawn and cloud up a tank, but because my tank has excessive filtration it clears up in a little while.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great minds... Picked some up this morning. Thanks for taking the time to assist!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369941619.909228.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.3%
Back