No light kill bubble algae ?

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will no lights kill bubble algae?

I’ve tried everything to remove bubble algae and nothing has work so far. What I’ve tried

Reflux
Emerald crab
Foxface
And manually removing 95% of it
Just for everything to rapidly grow again

I have two more plans:
1. If I remove the rocks and scrape off as much bubble algae as I can again and put it in a storage bin with filtration but with NO LIGHTS!

2. Starting over buying new rocks and sand

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea lions also like to graze bubble algae.

Have you considered turning your thermostat way down so that you could rent one or or borrow one from your local reefing club?
I have corals in the tank but the rocks are glued onto large pieces that I can easily manually remove

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As weird as it sounds I don’t get much in my dt at all .
But in the sump they grow into huge clusters I manually remove by hand .

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve tried everything to remove bubble algae and nothing has work so far. What I’ve tried

Reflux
Emerald crab
Foxface

I have two more plans:
1. If I remove the rocks and scrape off as much bubble algae as I can again and put it in a storage bin with filtration but with NO LIGHTS!

vibrant or algaefix marine

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried it all and it eventualy will come back. I remove what I can by hand and use emerald crabs but they never get it all.

I looked into my overflow and could not believe how much bubble algae was in their. I pulled the drain and flushed it all out. Its still present.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many posts about vibrant .. I personally wouldn’t use it in my tank
It opens the door to cyano. Which more often than not leads to dinos after chemi-clean gets dosed. Pretty sure it was found to be nothing but algaecide.

Isn't fluconazole effective against bubble algae? I've not had bubble algea in a tank since the late 90's, but very low doses of fluconazole have been effective against near impossible to eradicate algaes.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clump I removed from my sump last week .

Noticed 2 more smaller clumps starting to form yesterday and removed them before they got this size .

Makes me think …
Do they help by exporting nutrients the same way removing any algae would ?

Attachments

• IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 62

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clump I removed from my sump last week .

Noticed 2 more smaller clumps starting to form yesterday and removed them before they got this size .

Makes me think …
Do they help by exporting nutrients the same way removing any algae would ?
Yes they do its just that they can overrun a system if you dont control it.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vibrant or algaefix marine
I’ve used both and admittedly it didn’t nuke my tanks, anyway also admittedly I did pile on as mislabeling something given the stakes in a reef tank Pizzed me off
Ok, I was joking about sea lions. You are joking about vibrant, right?
That was exactly my first thought :D
I have used Vibrant and algaefix. Neither killed all the bubble algae.
Actually I used it (Vibrant) just for a weird bubble algae outbreak and it worked, but I’m only mentioning this as a dissimilar experience and hardly disputing yours as who the heck knows what variables are at play? This is NOT a endorsement of that garbage!!!!

To the OP, I’ve had bubble algae outbreaks before and here is my take/experience:
- the threat is slightly overblown (personally I don’t panic)
- good/explosive coralline growth sorta counteracts/out competes it, in fact coraline will actually over grow it (no kidding)
- Those so called “guaranteed to eat bubble algae emerald crabs” do in fact eat it, but I’ve likewise seem them eat all manner of stuff …
- Peroxide works !!! be carful around shrimp tho
- manual removal also works, I use a jewelers screwdriver, et

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reflux
Emerald crab
Foxface

I have two more plans:

I have killed bubble algae with Flux rx. I used a double dose, and left it in for at least 6 weeks. The only downside is the skimmer cannot be on, so I run an air stone to keep ph and oxygen up. Also manual removal with a poker and siphon hose works great. It takes a while to get rid of regardless of the method.

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pretty bad bubble algae problem a few months ago. I had been doing manual removal and spraying/squirting with hydrogen peroxide, but it just wasn't enough. I also go emerald crabs. What ended up working for me was Brightwell Razor. I followed the instructions exactly, did one one-week rounds, waiting a week and then did another one-week round. After waiting another week or two all my bubble algae was gone. My corals were unaffected but I have some cheaper hardier ones. I have seen some people say their corals were affected so YMMV.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used both and admittedly it didn’t nuke my tanks, anyway also admittedly I did pile on as mislabeling something given the stakes in a reef tank Pizzed me off

That was exactly my first thought :D

Actually I used it (Vibrant) just for a weird bubble algae outbreak and it worked, but I’m only mentioning this as a dissimilar experience and hardly disputing yours as who the heck knows what variables are at play? This is NOT a endorsement of that garbage!!!!

To the OP, I’ve had bubble algae outbreaks before and here is my take/experience:
- the threat is slightly overblown (personally I don’t panic)
- good/explosive coralline growth sorta counteracts/out competes it, in fact coraline will actually over grow it (no kidding)
- Those so called “guaranteed to eat bubble algae emerald crabs” do in fact eat it, but I’ve likewise seem them eat all manner of stuff …
- Peroxide works !!! be carful around shrimp tho
- manual removal also works, I use a jewelers screwdriver, et
I manually removed 95% of it and now it’s rapidly growing again within a span of a week.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have killed bubble algae with Flux rx. I used a double dose, and left it in for at least 6 weeks. The only downside is the skimmer cannot be on, so I run an air stone to keep ph and oxygen up. Also manual removal with a poker and siphon hose works great. It takes a while to get rid of regardless of the method.
I tried 3 dose and I did improvement but again came back .

FOO-CAT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't pop the bubbles when manually removing. The best way is to use a small siphon tube with an angle notched out, to get into crevices. Use small enough tubing and remove like 2-3 gallons at a time. Try this for a few weeks. If you do pop them while doing this the siphon should catch the spores released. That's the key to overcoming it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back